• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Considering I7

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

lugnat

Registered
Well This Christmas I asked the boss (the wife) if I could build a new pc! As the one I got is fine. (see specs below) but There is something holding it up?? It may be the cpu? As the AMD 955 is getting good reviews but I want something with raw power like the i7.. Now I have not built a box with an intel chip in it since they came out with the 3.06 ghz with HT (first chip)

Now I was looking at chips now and I am sure cost will come down at Christmas time but the 950 seems to be good compromise between the 920 and the extreme edition..am I close??

Now I will be able to keep my ram (although I really think it is the ocz reaper that is holding my cpu back) But I would like motherboard suggestions? as I have not dealt with INtel for 6 years now.

I have about 1900 to spend but I will be using my VelociRaptor still and I will see about the ram.. I need a board that has at least 6 SATA ports..Also what do you guys suggest for a cpu cooler?
I have the zerotherm platinum modded to run with a 120mm scythe ultra kaze (134cfm) also will be keeping my psu and sound card etc. Just looking for a great motherboard with all the extras!!
It will all be going into this Zalman case..http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811235015 and will be air cooled ( I get lucky with air as I had this 955 to 4.1 stable and my 6000+ to 3.9 stable

Again thank you guys so much! I trust your guys judgment better than mind even though I have been doing this for 10 years now just out of the loop with Intels!:thup:

Last edited:
i would recomend getting an SSD posibily as it could be drive performance holding you up?

i just went i7 and i havent looked back, it is great, and coupled with an ssd boot drive and windows 7 it is veryy fast

i7 920...$200 microcenter thingy

i would sell the reapers and get some good but cheap 1600mhz ram.

a true 120 or a nu-up12 cpu cooler, my i7 920 is wayy too hot, and its a good batch, with an oc to 3.8 my s1283 had 50c idle temps

the two main ocing motherboareds are EX58-ud5 ( or ex58-extreme) and the P6t deluxe..just depends on what brand you prefer

and keep the rest :)

oh and i allmsot forgot....u coudl just wait for the i5, but that depends on your budget

Thanks antipesto..
.As far as an SSD drive I have been reading some articles saying that the 300 gigabyte VelociRaptor's womp on the SSD's on 80% of the benchmarks.. I forgot to look at the date though! As I did read it a while ago when I was buying them...
As far as waiting.. Yes I will be waiting till December..

I agree with Windows 7!! It is a great os already pre-orderd it for the savings. (even though it is windows) I still dual boot with SuSe...

Will take a look at those motherboards! I am just trying to plan ahead this time! As I should have went I7 instead of the 955 but was not thinking! Those temps though scare me lol. As I just bought 2 4890's and they like to heat up my case a lot.. (reason for a new case)

I also agree about the reaper! It had some good timings but it is just ?? Lacking something..

Gigabyte GA EX58 Extreme

I concur with antipesto93 about the motherboard. the Gigabyte GA EX58 Extreme is an overclockers dream. It allows you to pull most out of your Intel core I7 processor's power into use. The availability to change so many specifications within the BIOS is unmatched.

Many overclockers have been waiting for this type of scaleability within the BIOS and Gigabyte delivered with this motherboard. a SSD boot drive and windows 7 would be very very fast with this motherboard attached. I suggest if your wife lets you to load this puppy up immediately!

Last edited:
Back