• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

720BE OC NB Temps?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

johnboy1998

Hi all,

Just a wee question for you guys?, I have some time at the moment and have decided to fine tune my OC, So I have upped my CPU multi giving me 3.6ghz, got my northbridge running at X12 and at 2410mhz! Ok so still to run tests for stability!

The question is what program do you guys use to monitor NB temps?, I use coretemp for cpu temps and just got pc wizard? which seems to be the only program that shows other temps! Pc wizard shows the temps as follows:

processor temp - 34c
mainboard temp - 35c
power temp - 34c
cpu diode - 22c

So the last one (cpu diode) is obviously my cpu temp as it ties in with coretemps reading, So is the the mainboard temp my NB temp? and if so what temps can the nb handle?

thanks guys

Just started prime and that mainboard temp is at 54c after about ten minutes?

Ok I used HW monitor (3 hours 100% load) and I have the three settings for temps:

TMPIN0 35c
TMPIN1 57c
TMPIN2 51c

So I have come to the conclusion that the three settings are as follows:

TMPIN0 - CPU socket temp
TMPIN1 - PWM
TMPIN2 - NB temp

I think that is correct just in case anyone was curious, as a lot of people have asked on google but there is no definite answer! I dont know why HW does not just name the values?

Last edited:
The values aren't named because board manufacturers don't follow any standard in what they monitor - or even how it's monitored. All HWMonitor can do is read values from pre-set memory locations. What those locations represent may easily change from board to board, not to mention manufacturer to manufacturer or whether it's AMD, nVidia, or Intel chipsets. :shrug:

As for your dilemma - if you want to nail down the temps I can suggest a line of research:
CPU temps, if they're any good at all, should increase by the same amount as CoreTemp shows. The temps may not match but the changes in temps should be close.

Your NB should be warmer with heavy video card use, so see which temps increase the most running, say, Cinebench or 3DMark - that should be your NB temp. (Of course, CPU temps will also increase but you should have that one isolated already.)

If the power chips are monitored at all that temp should increase with CPU voltage increases. I don't know what voltage you're running now so it's hard to be more specific.

Good luck and keep us posted ... :)

Last edited:
Hi

Thanks for that, Good advice! I ran cinebench and it actually showed TMPIN1 is the NB temp as it rose straight away during the cinebench run! I decreased the vcore and the other two values went down respectively! : ) p.s all temps staying 40-53c 100% load 4 hours!

I am running 1.45 vcore and the NB voltage is at 1.4 ( my vid for the NB is 1.3 well so my board says, am I right thats high?) I thought it should be more like 1.1ish? I cant get my 3.6ghz stable with the NB running at 2400mhz and I am scared about upping the NB voltage past 1.4?

I get average four hours prime stable, and temps are fine ram etc! Gonna do some more reading on dolks guide, but any ideas much appreciated!Thanks!

Yeah my default NB voltage is 1.3, on dolks guide they are 1.1 etc, my NB voltage is set to manual?

Let's back up a little. There are two different "NB voltages" on your board (on most Phenom systems for that matter). One is labeled "NorthBridge Volt Control" and the other is labeled "CPU NB VID Control". The first one is almost certainly the NB chipset and has a default value of 1.1v. It seldom needs to be increased past 1.15v (if at all) and even the most extreme OC'ers don't find it necessary to exceed 1.2v (as far as I can remember).

The cpuNB voltage (CPU NB VID) is the NB on the Phenom CPU. Among other things it contains the memory controller and L3 cache and it's what you're changing when you use the NB multiplier. cpuNB voltage has a posted range of 1.15-1.30v for the 720BE and even 1.30v has been exceeded many times if CPU temps are good (55°C or less after the change).

Which voltage is it you're changing and what is the voltage setting of the other ...???

Last edited:
^beat me too it....CPU northbridge and motherboard chipset NB are two different things!

Passive cooler

57C is my bet on your CPU load temp

22C idle for sure is not anything to do with CPU as that is room temperature (unless you are shooting AC air into your case)

@QuietIce Hi I was changing the NB voltage control this runs at 1.3v, just realised my mistake doh! So I will set it back to normal!

The bios doesnt show the voltage for the CPU NB vid control, it just has normal and then you can set the voltage up and down in increments!

thanks for the help all!

God I have changed the CPU NB vid control before, I seem to be getting more stupid by the day! : )

Last edited:
Passive cooler

57C is my bet on your CPU load temp

22C idle for sure is not anything to do with CPU as that is room temperature (unless you are shooting AC air into your case)

not running AC air, but pretty cool in here, my idle temps on my 4870 are 38c on CCC, and my idle temps for the cpu on cortemp read average 28c! Not sure where the 22c came from binned the power wizard anyway! The temps on coretemp tie in with HW monitor 28c idle!

You said about the 57c at load, when it was idle I ran cinebench and the same reading started to rise but the others didnt!

thanks

Back