• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

NEED SOME DRIVERS FOR WIN XP

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

j0hnsm1th

hey, I recently got asked to install windows xp on an old RM machine that was given to a friend, so I have installed everything on it , but I need audio and video drivers, as it only supports 800 x 600? and 1280 x 768 but the only resolution that displays on the 32 inch i am using atm is the 800 x 600, im not sure of the model of the computer :/ is there like a universal driver for these type of things?

thanks a lot :)

You're going to have to look up model number/Brand of the board and google for the drivers. XP has generic drivers for almost all the components, but then you have to search for the remainder drivers.

Also on a 32inch screen, you'll be lucky to get more than 1280/768 rez on it. Most older machines only push either a 32mb or 64mb video card, unless it's onboard video, then you're screwed as the rez will only go as far as 1024/768.

RM machine? You need to find out what gfx chip specifically it's using, and the same for the audio. Generic drivers are the closest thing to universal, and as you've seen are the bare minimum.

You're going to have to look up model number/Brand of the board and google for the drivers. XP has generic drivers for almost all the components, but then you have to search for the remainder drivers.

Also on a 32inch screen, you'll be lucky to get more than 1280/768 rez on it. Most older machines only push either a 32mb or 64mb video card, unless it's onboard video, then you're screwed as the rez will only go as far as 1024/768.

ahh i got an even older machine on ebay a while back and had it full screen on the 32 inch before, even installed windows 7 on it and got that full screen :/ i just cant remember where i had the drivers from..

Then you got lucky my friend. I had several old machines and all I got was 1024/768 max. Nothing larger than that and I was using a 19 inch monitor at the time.

Go to Device Manager and check the brand and model of your Display Adapter. Then go to the website of that company and search for drivers of that model.

Go to Device Manager and check the brand and model of your Display Adapter. Then go to the website of that company and search for drivers of that model.

that is the problem :p when i go to device manager.. i NEED a display adapter... lol

that is the problem :p when i go to device manager.. i NEED a display adapter... lol

Then download and install cpu-z and check out the motherboard model. Find information of the model on the internet and drivers for video/audio device on board.

If the computer is a pre-built one with a brand, go to the brand's website and check out the drivers download. Call them to find out the computer model if necessary.

Someone gave me a pc to fix the other day and it had a pci graphics card, I was shocked not seen one in years! It was one of they pcs you open and just think there is nothing I can do with this, apart from maybe use it to connect to google and buy the parts for a new rig! But long story short I managed to get drivers after persistent looking!

The comp is now banned from my house! : )

Back