• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

cpu help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dragonstorm2254

Registered
:bang headhey7 guys, i have a phenom 2 x4 955, on a foxconn destroyer MB. my dad has the same set up.he can get 3.8 stable on stock voltage, i can not. is there a way to test if my processor is bad? his is new mine is about 6 months old..but i need to know if i need to get a new one

If yours runs at stock 3.2 without issue, it's technically a good chip.

Very, very few run 3.8 without a voltage change, are you sure he isn't set to auto voltage? Often that'll jack up the volts when you start overclocking.

his is set to auto but cpu-z shows it at 1.32 even at full load stable testing. i have mine set the same way but i cant even hit 3.6 with stock 3.4 is iffy. we have the sma e cpu and mobo, and ram all settings the same

He won the CPU lottery, and you didn't.
Technically your chip is perfectly fine, as it's only guaranteed to run at stock.

You've got a nice CPU cooler, give it 1.4v and see how it does with that.

Actually, what are your full load temps like?

He won the CPU lottery, and you didn't.
Technically your chip is perfectly fine, as it's only guaranteed to run at stock.
And there it is in a nutshell! :thup:

Every CPU, even CPUs from the same wafer, will run different - that's just the way things are. If every CPU AMD produced could run 3.8 GHz at stock voltages and reasonable temps then they would be selling them as 3.8 GHz CPU's and charging a lot more money for them. As it is your Dad got a good deal because he happened to acquire what could easily be a $400-priced CPU for $200 ... ;)

Back