• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How to pick a wireless router?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

neonblingbling

I have no clue how to pick a wireless router. All I know is I would probably like N, have a very secure network, and spend about $100. More could be acceptable if the features are good, but cheaper is always appreciated.

Specific models might be ok (I've been reading LINKSYS WRT160N), but what I really want to know is what features to look for, so I can go to a store and walk out with one.

Like, what feature is to filter MAC addresses? What is dual-band... Also, while browsing newegg, I saw something about giving internet priority to games instead of downloads; is this a gimmick, or a real feature that could it be done through a different OS (I hear of tomato?). It might be helpful in an apartment with three guys and a 1.5 mbps connection...

I cannot recommend any routers at this moment, but I can inform you on what MAC filtering and the various types of encrytion are.

In short,

SSID= hides the name of your router, so you must manually key in the name of the network to connect to your router.
MAC= allows only selected computers to access your internet.
WPA= One of the best encryption today.

Service Set Identifier Hiding (SSID Hiding) (Authentication)
(More information on SSIDs)

• What it does: A SSID is essentially the name of the wireless network. To communicate on a wireless network all devices must share a SSID. A wireless AP or Router will broadcast it's SSID by default and allow users with wireless devices to connect to it. By hiding your SSID your network will not be visible to things such as the windows wireless networking wizard. By doing this you must manually enter the network ID into each device that you want to connect to your network. This feature is also known sometimes as disabling SSID broadcast
  • Why use it: While a weak form of security it is useful for preventing casual misuse. It will not keep out a determined attacker but will keep out the casual leecher. For example my cousin owns a laptop but knows little about computers but simply catches Internet off a nearby open wireless connection. If the owner of the connection were to enable SSID hiding the network would no longer be visible to my cousin.
  • Weaknesses: Various free programs downloadable from the Internet can overcome this and is able to locate all access points in a area. These programs are able to overcome SSID hiding and display the SSID of the network to the user wishing to gain access.

Media Access Control Address Filtering (MAC Address Filtering) (Authentication)
(More information on MAC addresses)

• What it does: A MAC address is a physical address that is a 48 bit address assigned to each network interface card. MAC address filtering is a authentication method used by a AP/Router contains a list of approved MAC addresses. If your MAC address is not listed on the AP you should not (theoretically) be able to connect to the network.
  • Why use it: Similar to the SSID hiding it protects against casual leechers such as the neighbor next door who accidentally connects to your AP because it has a stronger signal. This can and should be used but not as the only level of security, it should also be combined with WPA.
  • Weaknesses: A MAC address is contained in any data packet. A packet sniffer can capture packets going over the air and then spoof this legitimate MAC address to gain access to the network.
Wi-Fi Protected Access Enterprise (WPA2) (Encryption)
  • What it does: WPA2 is similar to WPA-PSK but is intended for corporate environments. WPA2 uses a server to authenticate each user so that each user has a individual WPA key.
  • Why use it: Not needed for most home users. A business would want to use this for two main reasons. Firstly if a business was using WPA every end user would have the same password and key and could then spy on other users on the network. Secondly ex-employees who knew the key could gain access to the network with standard WPA-PSK. With WPA2 you can simply remove the ex-employee from the authentication server.
For more information, read this stick (Wireless 101:A Guide to Security) by TalRW.

Edit- I forgot to mention that most routers should support all of the above. This is more to clarify things than answer your question :D.

Last edited:
are alll routers the same in terms of performance, and they only differ in encryption?

no not really, most of the new wireless routers will be either 802.11g which gives you a max speed of 54 Mbit/s and 802.11n (802.11n is backwards compatible with 802.11b/g) which theoretically can give you a throughput of 144 Mbit/s (this are wireless speeds). Also most of the home users routers have a switch built in and this come most of the times in 2 variations, either fast ethernet that supports 100 Mbits/s and Gigabit ethernet that supports 1000 Mbits/s (this are wired speeds)... Also keep in mind that this numbers are you LAN speed transfer not your internet. Usually ISP will give you a max speed of 50 Mbit/s at least here in my city, so even if you buy a 100 Mbit/s it will be fast enough for your internet connetion, so if you have multiple computers and want them to comunicate fast get a gigabit router (remember that you need to have a gigabit NIC and using at least CAT5e cable), if you have laptops with Wireless N card get a 802.11n router... and encryption wise most of the new routers out there support WPA2 which is the best wireless security for home users as now.

If you are getting a router now, there are some biggies you need to look for:

1) wireless N with backwards compatibility to G etc..
2) Gigabit ethernet. Make sure the box says 10/100/1000.
3) WPA2 - best security right now.

If you find a router that has these things then it should serve you well.

I use the D-link DIR655.. It's really good and has a USB port where you can share printers etc etc.

So I can I go to Fry's Electronics, grab a $40 wireless N router, and I shouldn't notice a big difference from a $100? I've heard companies other than Linksys have been having problems with their higher end rotuers' firmware, so will all the cheapos be fine?

Anything about the 'gaming vs download' throttling feature?

I almost bought a D-Link DIR-615 at Fry's but then decided it might be cheaper on newegg (it is). Any objections to it before I push the buy button?

Back