• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

should i upgrade?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

craney

Registered
hi people im thinking of upgrading my card as i have had it a couple of years now and im having a few probs with it to, i have an 8800GTS OC2 640mb card and just wanted some advice on a good upgrade really i do like to game a lot crysis and cod mainly

Been looking at one of these, its a much better spec than mine seems a good price to,

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=GX-095-BG&groupid=701&catid=56&subcat=1402

Dont really wanna spend more than £120-140
any ideas

thanks

Liam

ATI Is releasing some new cards in a few days you may wanna wait.And i think nvidia will soon follow

The 8800GTS 640 can still hold its own.But if you dont wanna wait that GTS 250 1GB is a good card for the money

thanks for the reply mate i guess the new cards will cost a fair bit something i dont think i will be able to afford lol i have ben doing some reasearch into the 260GTX and up but for the price of a 250GTS £120 it seems to beat my 8800GTS hands down being a newr card i know it should, the core clock on the 250 is 775mhz and 8800GTS is 550mhz 250 has 1gb memory to the 640 of the 8800 and finally 250 has a good memory clock of 2240 compared to 1600

to me sounds like not a bad little upgrade

GTS 250 is a great card for the money and about as fast as a GTX 260.Id go for it if i was you i just wanted to let you know about the new cards coming out so you didnt jump on this card and then you would be like dam ATI just released its newest line i wish dude had mentioned that because i would have waited..lol.But since you know all of that i would go for it.Hell im still running two 1900GT's on my backup system..lol and ive been eyeballing the GTS 250 for a major upgrade over the dual 1900GT's.I will more than likely get a GTS 250 1GB for my backup rig also

Last edited:
Actually the GTX260 is a fair bit quicker than the 8800gts 512mb/9800gtx(+)/GTS250, as it has 216 sp's vs 128 on the GTS250, and a higher memory bandwidth.

funny you should say that i just been looking at the 260 and 270 this how upgarde thingy is so hard i just cant pick!!

Yeah the GTX is faster but not as much as you might think.You can get a Refurb GTX260 216 55nm for $134 from newegg

Newegg doesn't deliver to Europe, and prices here are very expensive in comparison, nowhere near the amount they should be relative to the exchange rate.

I've been shopping around for graphics cards myself (I have a 9600 GT which is about level with a 8800 GTS 640) and the best value card I've found is this 4870 for £90:

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/169206

That beats a GTS 250 and isn't far off a GTX 260, only about £20 cheaper.

It really is up in the air with a 4870 and a GTX 260. They both perform about the same, with the GTX 260 slightly ahead. I would wait a while until they release their new cards, because they will probably drop prices on their old cards, which means bigger deals :)

In the future (november), I bet they will bundle new vid cards with COD6 :D

I'd say wait for some new parts to come out. And what is your CPU?

I'd say wait for some new parts to come out. And what is your CPU?

It really is up in the air with a 4870 and a GTX 260. They both perform about the same, with the GTX 260 slightly ahead. I would wait a while until they release their new cards, because they will probably drop prices on their old cards, which means bigger deals :)

In the future (november), I bet they will bundle new vid cards with COD6 :D

I agree

Back