• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

MD5 Checker 2.01

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Blazing fire

Program to create and verify checksum

Has anyone of you triedthe MD5 checker ? Is it effective at spotting data corruption?

Edit- this program does not allow me to select folders, only individual files. Are there any free programs which allow me to create checksum files of individual files in folders?

Another question. Where and how is the checksum file stored for verification?

I would like a program which have similar options to the one below.

http://www.irnis.net/soft/acsv/shots.shtml
acsv_main_xp.png

http://www.flashplayerpro.com/MD5Checksum/Screenshot.htm

MD5Checksum.gif

Edit 2- This program, "MD5 checksum verifier" by FlashPlayerPro.com seems to be ideal for my needs too but it is not free...

Last edited:
My favorite is Cygwin and md5sum, sha1sum, sha224sum, sha256sum, sha384sum, or sha512sum, combined with bash scripts.

If you want a FOSS tool with a GUI that supports many algorithms, look at JSummer.

Last edited:

"This tiny freeware utility checks the validity of downloaded files by quickly comparing the files to previously generated checksums, though it can't check complete folders"

"However, MD5 Checker works only with files and can't check a folder of files with a single click. "

It cannot do a checksum for a folder, only individual files. I can't even type in the directory path of the folder. Am I missing something here? :bang head

My favorite is Cygwin and md5sum, sha1sum, sha224sum, sha256sum, sha384sum, or sha512sum, combined with bash scripts.

If you want a FOSS tool with a GUI that supports many algorithms, look at JSummer.

Good god... how in the world did you remember all the names of the programs" :bday:

Couple of questions.

1) What's a bash script?
2) What's FOSS?
3) What type of checksum file should I use? MD5, SHA160 or SHA256.

I'm going to try Jsummer now. It appears to be able to do checksums of folders. Will report back in a moment.

1) What's a bash script?
2) What's FOSS?
3) What type of checksum file should I use? MD5, SHA160 or SHA256.

I'm going to try Jsummer now. It appears to be able to do checksums of folders. Will report back in a moment.

1) Bash the default shell for most Linux distributions. Kind of like cmd on Windows. Where you write a batch file for DOS/Windows, you write a Bash script for Linux.
2) Free Open Source Software
3) MD5 is fine for most purposes.

Thanks pettey!

Btw, sourceforge has numerous types of compression methods which my computer cannot read. The uncompressed MSI is so much better...

deb
noarch.rpm
tar.gz

Installation: It does not allow me to disable creating a desktop and start menu shortcut. It does not allow me to chose where to install it. It defaults to creating a "ZeRo-Sys.Net" in the program file.
Program: Allows me to select folders. Automatically does a checksum of each and individual file when I select a folder. Good and bad. I personally like it. Allows me to save .md5 file where ever I like.

Thanks pettey once again for this excellent software! It has met all my requirements.

Few questions:

1. What is "system independent path seperator"
2. What is "relative path"

Few things that the developer might wish to add:

1. Regular checking of checksum files, much like how anti-virus softwares have scheduled scans.
2. Option to disable auto-scrolling.
3. Definition of terms (glossery) for idiots like me :D

Last edited:
Btw, sourceforge has numerous types of compression methods which my computer cannot read. The uncompressed MSI is so much better...

deb
noarch.rpm
tar.gz

MSI is for Windows. Deb is for Linux using Debian package manager. RPM is for Linux using Red Hat package manager. tar.gz is source code to be compiled, for systems like Gentoo.

Few questions:
1. What is "system independent path seperator"
2. What is "relative path"

1. C:\windows\system32 vs /usr/bin. Windows uses \ as separator, Linux uses /. Are you sure it doesn't say "system dependent"? I'm not aware of any system independent separator.
2. The full path to a folder might be C:\a\b\c\d\e\f, but if you're already in c, you can just use d\e\f, which is relative to c.

Thanks pettey for teaching me so much! I really appreciate it :D

Btw, this is the "sysindependent pathseparator" I was talking about. Perhaps the developer got it wrong. To be fair, I think english is not his/her first language. Frankly, I admire them more than anything.

Attachments

• sysindependent pathseparator.JPG
    sysindependent pathseparator.JPG
    33 KB · Views: 206
Thanks for some of these software, I shall add these to my very long list of very using programs haha.

That would be excellent. Do make a sig that links to your list of useful program, shawy14!

Back