• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Do we have anything coming out in the near future?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Dapman02

I have been getting an itch to upgrade to something new. From what I have read, there is nothing new coming out in the horizon for AMD as far as new processors (not another Deneb rehash). Is there anything that might catch my eye before I might start looking at the dark side. i.e. any core revision's, new cores, motherboards, ANYTHING!!!!

Makes sense, I'd be surprised if they weren't keeping out any 3.6ghz 140w cpus they find along with the 125w 3.4ghz dies they're releasing in a couple months.
As the process gets better and better they'll be getting more and more high ghz low(relatively) wattage dies. In theory they'll eventually have something that can reliably run 3.8ghz at 140w.
I would love to see a PhII with a factory clock of 4ghz, seeing a decently efficient per-clock CPU do 4ghz out of the box (which intel never managed even with horribly inefficient 35-clocks-to-do-anything P4s).

Ok so i have a fondness for P4s even so, i have to admit it. They're the big block classic american cars of the CPU world: Burn enough gas and you're bound to make some power :p

I am still eager and hoping to get to 4 GHz on air. Hopefully, AMD will come up with some improvement with a new stepping. It is about time. The current stepping is getting kinda old isn't it? I was surprised to find that AM3 processors were of the same C2. With 32nm being pushed back the schedule, a newer revision seem more and more likely now.

Whens 32nm due? It might manage to make then somewhat more competitive vs the i5's...... Besides, I'd love a drop in replacement for my 955BE ;)

I don't see that helping the desktop situation. AMD needs higher clocks and power efficency on the desktop not more cores. This'll only help with server loads.

Well considering their server marketshare dropped to 10.9% they need something there more than on the desktop, then they should be selling something better than K8 for notebooks and should make a netbook cpu. Sounds like their hands are full maybe 1-2 higher multi with a new stepping and the 6 core cpu but have to wonder whether memory bandwidth will do for that.

More cores is great for servers but not so much for desktop use. Right now I'd be happy for some chips that clock higher at lower voltage on a 32nm process.

AMD really need to kill off K8 and move entirely to K10, their next gen chip late next year is the one I'm watching for. Just hoping its something that gives a real boost on the desktop and isn't just targeted at the server market.

I don't know about you guys but I don't think AMD really has the $ to come out with a dedicated low power notebook chip. I'm betting they'll concentrate on the desktop/server markets for the forseeable future.

As I've said a number of times before though, I'm keen to see the GPU integrated onto the same package. Really hoping DX11 allows Windows apps to take use of GPGPU capabillity rather than just graphics. This is where I can see AMD getting a significant performance advantage versus Intel.

AMD really need to kill off K8 and move entirely to K10, their next gen chip late next year is the one I'm watching for.

No doubt but according to their last quarter results K8 made up 60% of their sales, a result of releasing the bestseller dualcore later than the quadcore.

Bulldozer comes in 2011 and that's their new arch...
Where did you get that info they are releasing something new by end of next year ?
Unless you mean Sandy bridge. ;)

Nah, I daresay I've got my facts mixed up. Thought I'd heard bulldozer was late next year.

Back