• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Installing OS before new PC build...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Iam99x

Hey, everyone. It's my first post, so I might as well semi-introduce myself. My name is Allen. I'm 21 years old, and I have multiple hobbies--technology being one of my favorites.

Anyway, I have an out dated setup, and it's time to upgrade. I've already ordered all new parts, and they will be here in a couple of days.

I already have my new hard drive, and I was wondering would it be okay to go ahead and install my Vista Home Premium 32-Bit on it, and move all of my files onto it, and then put it in my new setup, then install all of my new drivers over my old drivers.

/runon sentence

I'm typing from my phone, so bare with me if anything is misspelled. :p

I know there are some Vista haters, and I'm one of them, but I want to explore DirectX 10. I'm going to upgrade to Windows 7 as soon as it's available. I do have a copy of the beta version, but I don't want to have to redo all of my stuff when it expires.

Thanks!

Allen

No it's not OK. Your new hardware and your old one are very different and Windows really hates if it you install it on one hardware and run it on the other.

Only do it if you want to have, often unexplicable, errors down the road. That is if it even boots with the new hardware. Usually it just BSODs on bootup.

You'll be better off in the long run if you can wait. Might as well just do the install once correctly instead of risking having to do a reinstall if moving your hard drive over to the new hardware doesn't work out.

You'll be better off in the long run if you can wait. Might as well just do the install once correctly instead of risking having to do a reinstall if moving your hard drive over to the new hardware doesn't work out.

Welcome to the forums :^)

In principle I agree with what the others here have said, but it might be educational to try installing, then migrating the system. Understand that the method is sub optimal, but it would be interesting to see what the benefits, and pitfalls are by using that method.

Thank you all for the replies! I will for sure be holding off until I have my parts. I'm sure you'll be hearing from me in the near future. I plan to overclock my processor (the infamous e8400) to 3.6Ghz. I've had plenty experience with overclocking video cards, but this will be my first processor to overclock.

Thanks again!

Why 3.6?

4 is a joke for that CPU. Most people can run it at that speed from day 1.
I mean you want a decent motherboard but other than that it's no problem.

Also, I think it's famous. Infamous would suggest that it was famous for a bad reason- which it isn't.

Core 2 duos like overclocks. Mine is at 3.16 from 2.33 on stock cooling. And it's a 65nm Conroe. A 45nm Wolfdale produces way less heat. With a good aftermarket cooler 4Ghz isn't stressing your cpu at all.

I agree on not installing until you have the new hardware. Let Windows start out using your newer hardware and make it only go through driver searching once.

LOL I don't know why I put infamous. It's been a hell of a day at work...maybe that has something to do with it haha.

Anyway, I didn't have a huge chunk of money to throw at this thing, so I bought what I could afford, and what would work. I'm planning on using stock cooling until I get I can afford the best of the best. This is why I'm only choosing to go to 3.6.

Mobo: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128357

Yes, only 2GB of RAM. I will replace that with two sticks of 4GB when it's affordable as well.

RAM: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820220255

I have actually seen a lot of posts around here where someone has said they had their e8400 running at 4.5, so 4.0 should be very easy for that CPU, as long as you have the right mobo and RAM. As far as the HDD goes, I would wait til you have the hardware to install Vista. It will work, but it will kick and scream, so to say. Also, Windows 7 will be on shelves on the 22nd of next month, but because of tech-net and MSDN, some of us have been able to adopt it early. I do have to say that it is very stable, easier to use (once you get used to the new layout), and it had drivers for all of my hardware (although I chose to get them from the manufacturers). Don't get me wrong, Vista is still a great OS, but I do feel that it is quite bloated compared to 7. If the system requirements for Vista were what they are for 7, I think the general public would have had an easier time with it. Also, the OEM builders had a bit to do with the problems. If the would have built systems with 2 GB of RAM, instead of 512MB (RAM was cheap enough at the time it wouldn't have increased the price too much), and video that actually met the system requirments, people wouldn't have gotten the wrong impression. I really hope the OEM's don't screw this one up too. Win7 is a very good OS, and even in the RC1 stage, has been nothing but stable for me.

I see...

Well, my parts come in today! I've anticipated building this thing for a while now. I'm so excited!

I'm on my new setup now. It's amazing. I run 200-300fps in Counter Strike: Source with the graphics maxed and @ 1440x900. Crysis runs steady ~40fps on high settings @ 1440x900.

I haven't had a chance to try anything else.

I don't have an obsession with it, but I will say it's one of the funnest FPS games I've played. Especially when you get a bunch of friends playing together.

Thanks!

Back