• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How To: Load RealTemp at startup without disabling UAC

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
IMHO it is always better to post the actual instructions rather than just a link (that may eventually die).

Start > Programs > Accessories > System Tools > Task Scheduler

Action > Create Basic Task

Enter a name. RealTemp, GPU-Z, CoreTemp, whatever app you're running, or some random crap like Flugbuzonplipmen will work. Click next.

Select "When I log on" as the trigger. Click next.

Select "Start a program" as the action. Click next.

Browse to the executable, and add any parameters if necessary. Click Next.

Click Finish. Now whenever you log on, the program will start, with no annoying UAC prompt.

Now, if only I could fix the damn programs that refuse to let me uncheck the "this program came from a dangerous source" box...

That tutorial works and can be used for other programs to get around UAC nagging. Here it is with the pictures included.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I have Administrator privileges on my account and enabled UAC at its Default setting.

When using UAC, the StartUp folder method seems to cause some issues so I decided to add RealTemp to the TaskScheduler.

Open up Task Scheduler and start by clicking on Create Basic Task... on the right hand side.

pic6m.png

Enter a name for the task, RealTemp, and then click on Next.

pic0.png

For Trigger, choose the option, When I log on.

pic1xkv.png

For Action select, Start a program and then click on Next.

pic2kcr.png

I dragged the RealTempBeta folder into the Program Files(x86) folder.

Click on Browse and tell it where it can find RealTemp.exe

pic3s.png

Click Next to go to the Summary window.
Before clicking Finish select, Open the Properties dialog for this task when I click Finish

pic4pxn.png

Now select, Run with highest privileges and click on OK and you're done.

pic5.png

Now reboot and see if it works.

I know this is a big hassle but when running UAC, it's the correct way to add items to your Start Up routine that need Administrator privileges. You will also have to do the above if UAC is enabled to get Core Temp to start correctly. Temperature monitoring programs need to run at this level to access the temperature sensors which are a protected resource. Maybe we can hang some of the blame on Intel as well since reading the core temperature shouldn't be rocket science or a dangerous activity needing Ring 0 access.

If you ever have problems where RealTemp seems to be running in the Task Manager but doesn't appear on your screen, Kill the RealTemp.exe process and then go into the RealTemp.ini file and delete the WindowXY= key. RealTemp stores the last position it was at in that key so if it gets screwed up there might be a problem. I noticed one issue when testing that if the RealTempBeta folder is located directly in the C: directory then this window position info gets ignored and RealTemp was starting up for me in the top left corner. I think that's another Windows 7 UAC induced feature. :D

Edit: The above method also works in a limited account but you will need to enter an Administrator password before RealTemp will be allowed to run at Start Up.

Edit #2: Richard was having a lot of problems with this method. RealTemp would show up in the Task Manager but he couldn't access it anywhere. He finally figured out that for the last step it is critical that you have "Run only when user is logged on" is checked.

If you follow the above method exactly then it should work with or without UAC enabled and whether you are in an Admin or Standard account. If you are setting this up in a Standard account then don't use the last option, "Run with highest privileges" since you don't have those privileges in a Standard account.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
This download includes RealTemp GT, a new 6 core version of RealTemp for the upcoming Gulftown processors. Better tuck that away for future reference. The way they're running, Intel might release one sooner than expected. :santa2:

http://www.sendspace.com/file/u1iihp

Back