• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

QX9650 Underclocking Problem

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

rainman_24

Registered
I'm running a QX9650 on an Intel x38 mobo. I'm fairly new to overclocking but I thought I'd give it a shot. I was aiming for 3.7ghz (I only have air cooling).

I hate to sound like an amateur, but could somebody guide me as to what I'm doing wrong? Even though logically the cpu should be at 3.7ghz, when in Vista the CPU is underclocked (even though powersaving and EIST are turned off). Even when under load, the cpu will only go to 3.2 ghz apparently because the multiplier is set to 9, when clearly it is not.

Here's what my BIOS looks like:

IMG_0273.jpg
IMG_0272.jpg

When I boot up Vista:

Underclocked-1.jpg

Yeah, sorry, bit of a picture mixup. How does one disable C1E or Speedstep... I don`t see it in bios.

Some bioses don't have it as an option, or it's hidden in "secret" bios pages.
Being an intel mobo, it probably just doesn't exist.

Somewhere in the advance or performance section. maybe under something called CPU settings or anything like this.

you know its kind of a good thing that it does it. run prime95 for 2 mins with CPUZ open and if your CPU dosent go to 3.7 then something else is going on.

Here's the weird thing... when stressed the clock will increase and the host clock frequency is recognized, but the multiplier will only go from 6x to 9x, instead of 10... it's as if this underclocking feature has set values for itself. I've looked all through the bios, and still nothing related to C1E, EIST, or Speedstep that I can't see or haven't disabled. Any ideas out there?

Problem.jpg

Swapping to a better board to follow this X processor ........... intel board never have been good at OCing cause they lack of settings. They are good board, but they dont offer lots of bios features.

Ah yes, perhaps I will do that. Would you recommend I keep this processor or go for an I7 system... are the gains worth it or nominal?

nah, its not wotrth it. im keeping my rig untill price drop again and/or i see nice review from the I5 that seems to be similar to Q9550...

get yourself a P45 from Gigabyte or Asus. EP45 UD3P(R) or P5Q pro or something.

Thanks for the help. I'm going to buy the new mobo and overclock with a Coolermaster V8.

Just one quick question to all you OC veterans out there... what processor voltage would you recommend for 3.8ghz? Or do you think I could get 4.0ghz with the Coolermaster V8?

I think the problem is QX9650 comes with default of 333x9 = 3.0ghz, so that's the reason why you can't "use" 10x multiplier in windows even though QX series comes with an unlock multiplier. What I suggest you to do in this case is try to run it at 411x9 and see if that fix your problem...

I dont believe that to be true at all as there are plenty of people using a higher multi than stock in windows with the "X" chips. Windows doesnt determine the multi it reads it.

It's still set to 10 whenever I go into bios. The info is exactly as in pictures. Then in Vista, the clock frequency is recognized, but when this mysterious speedstepping program steps the multiplier up from 6 when under load, it will only go to 9 instead of 10, giving me roughly 3.33ghz. The most bizarre thing I have seen. It also does not recognize the voltage switch. Now what kind of underclocking function would ignore your multiplier and voltage but accept clock frequency?

Powersaving is completely turned off, so I doubt it's anything inside Vista... if I fix this problem it would save me buying a new mobo.

Last edited:
dx38bt ??
http://download.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/dx38bt/sb/d9774201_en.pdf

This is the minimal bios version to support QX9650 : 1478

From Xbit ....
Now let’s leave the memory speed at 800MHz, but set the Reference Frequency parameter to 400MHz. In this case the FSB:Mem ratio should be 1:1. To check it out we restart at a guaranteed operational FSB frequency of 325MHz. The result is that the memory frequency equals 325 (650) MHz. Now it is working the right way. So, we change the FSB frequency to 450MHz and the board would boot again! Yes! Unfortunately, we were celebrating too soon: it turned out that the mainboard dropped the FSB speed down to 325MHz again.

I don’t think it makes a lot of sense to go into details regarding every failed overclocking attempt we undertook. We reflashed the BIOS with the newest 1217.1401 version, played with processor clock frequency multipliers, checked out different Memory Frequency and Reference Frequency combinations, but we could only get one of the following: failed boot-up and an offer to correct the BIOS settings or system boot-up at the mainboard’s favorite 322-325MHz FSB. Surprisingly, but Intel DX38BT mainboard could still load Windows Vista OS even with the processor’s nominal x10 clock frequency multiplier and relatively low 340MHz FSB frequency, although the errors popped up immediately when we launched Prime95 utility for stability run. We have recently criticized ASRock 4Core1333-eSATA2 mainboard for the budget segment for its poor overclocking friendly features, although, it could easily clock the CPU to 340MHz FSB. However, our today’s overclocker solution - Intel DX38BT – cannot do even that.

Ok, if the board likes FSB frequencies in the interval from 322 to 325MHz, then be it. Let’s try to make its life as simple as possible. Our Intel Core 2 Extreme QX6700 processor can work at 325MHz FSB with its nominal x10 clock multiplier without increasing the core voltage above the nominal 1.35V. We have already seen many times that Intel DX38BT mainboard can boot at this speed without any problems. This time it also did and even passed the stability check with Prime95 utility. However to ensure acceptable performance we have to use increasing multipliers even for DDR2 SDRAM at this low FSB frequency, not to mention the DDR3 SDRAM, where only high frequencies can make up for high latencies. Unfortunately, all our attempts to get the memory to work at high frequencies failed.

In this case we assumed that Intel DX38BT mainboard cannot succeed at overclocking because we are using an engineering sample of Intel Core 2 Extreme QX6700 processor. So we decided to repeat our experiments with a regular Intel Core 2 Duo E6300 (1.86GHz, 266MHz FSB, 2MB, Conroe-2M, rev.B2). This CPU can work stably at 490MHz FSB with the Vcore increased to 1.45V. However, all our attempts to get it to run at this speed on Intel DX38BT mainboard were vain.

Overclocking, like any other good occupation, should be fun. Unfortunately, it causes a lot of frustration when you try to do it on Intel DX38BT mainboard. After a number of failures you start perceiving the logo from the mainboard package and numerous marketing materials differently. Maybe it says something like that: Intel DX38BT mainboard will eat your brain and if you don’t give up overclocking you may end up dead :)

However, we still had a little chance to rehabilitate the board a little bit by trying to overclock a CPU from Windows using some of the available software tools. We are going to discuss this topic in the ongoing chapter of our article.

Dont really seems as a good OCer. Bios setup seems messy.

I see, I guess it's a problem of being a crappy mobo for overclocking. I'm going to buy the Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3P, throw a Coolermaster V8 on it and see if I can push it to 4.0ghz just in time for the 5870's. Thanks for all the help you guys.

TRUE is excellent, megahalems is slightly better, Xigmatek HDT1284/3 and Sunbeam CCF are slightly behind but cost half as much.

Back