• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

TV Tuner Question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Terranova

I'm trying to find out if it's possible to plug my Wii into an older PCI WinTV tuner that I got. It has AV Yellow/Red/White and I plugged the Wii in but I don't know what I need to use to get it to display on my monitor. Do I maybe need manufacturer drivers? I just let Vista install the driver for me and it works great with my cable connection.

When I wanted to hook up my surveilence camera to my PC to create movies of the courtyard of my apartment while I was at work, I used the yellow and white connectors on the device to plug into an old VCR then I ran the VCR to the tuner using the normal coax cable.

Depending on which TV Tuner card you have, it may be possible to run it directly like you are doing and then use Media Center in Vista or Windows 7 (or whatever software came with your Tuner Card) to watch the particular channel you used as input.

On the ATI all in wonder cards you'd just open the TV application and swith the input to RCA. Failing that an RCA to RF adaptor will work just as well as a VCR. If you have RCA adaptors it's just a matter of opening your TV program and selecting that input.

You will need a viewing program such as Windows Media Center or one that is supplied with the card.

Hauppauge has WinTV for their viewer. I prefer MCE though.

One issue you may have is lag though. Many times MPEG tuners encode the video before it hits the OS and window. Most of them do this.

Hmmm it says it's an input I just dont know how to make it use the AV rather than Coax for my cable. The software updates and the WinTV player don't seem to be compatible with Vista either so.. I don't know. I do use Windows Media Center right now since I have Vista Ultimate 32-Bit. I'm starting to think that maybe I should just get a new tv tuner that does HD and has a remote and what not. Any recommendations for a tuner?

Back