• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New Dragon plus

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Takovr

I just ordered a new soyo dragon plus for my athlon xp 1900, im building a new p.c. I have a quick question ive got 2 hard-drives a 60 and 75 gig and 2 cd roms a 52x sony amd a sony cdr. How do i set that up on my new motherboard? Primary master, Primary slave, Secondary master, Secondary Slave, they are booth 7200rpm hard-drive's. The 60 is a maxter and the 75 is a ibm desk-star. I do alot of video editing and would like to use the 75 gig for storage of movie's..

Thx for the help. Gene

Takovr said:
I just ordered a new soyo dragon plus for my athlon xp 1900, im building a new p.c. I have a quick question ive got 2 hard-drives a 60 and 75 gig and 2 cd roms a 52x sony amd a sony cdr. How do i set that up on my new motherboard? Primary master, Primary slave, Secondary master, Secondary Slave, they are booth 7200rpm hard-drive's. The 60 is a maxter and the 75 is a ibm desk-star. I do alot of video editing and would like to use the 75 gig for storage of movie's..

Thx for the help. Gene

I would set the hd's up as masters and the cdrom's as a slave to each one on IDE1 and IDE2

Last edited:
Thank's for the help

Thank you for the help, BTW How do you like your motherboard, and did you or are you having any problems with it?...

Gene

Re: Thank's for the help

Takovr said:
Thank you for the help, BTW How do you like your motherboard, and did you or are you having any problems with it?...

Gene

I like it fine,I have had not one hardware issue,(look at my sig),win2k works great on it,and it networks on my 4 pc home network just fine.no probs at all.

:) Dan

Re: Sig ?

Takovr said:
Sorry im not sure what "sig" mean's...

Gene

they let us put info in our "signature" here,it's all the stuff below the line in my post.I use it so people don't have to ask me what my system consists of.
:) go into "usercp" at the top of this forum page and then go to "edit profile" and "edit options" there are alot of cool things there to configure regarding how you use this forums,check it out. :)

look down \/

Last edited:
I would set the hd's up as masters and the cdrom's as a slave to each one on IDE1 and IDE2

UM, do not do that! well, do it if you don't care about hdd performance, you see. Here's the deal, your hdd will only perform as fast as the bus will allow it, and the bus will only perform as fast as the slowest device on it, no matter what other devices are on it. You want the drive you intend to use for windows to be the master on IDE1, and the other slave on the same IDE channel, unless you wanna put it by itself on one of the ATA/RAID controller channels, you could do that as well. anyhow, put the cdroms on one channel together, one as master, other as slave, works good that way, less cables to fiddle with and same performance. but definitely never mix hdds with cdroms on any system, not a good idea.

I have to agree with FrozenInHi on that. Do not put the HD and cd-roms on the same channel. When I first got a DVD drive, a few years ago. I installed in as a slave to my HD on the primary channel and was greated to a number of problems immediately. Then when I put the HD's on the Primary and the Disc Drives on the Secondary all was well!

Can someone shed some light on something for me?
1) Does having 2 HD's on a the same channel slow down transfer rates at all?
2) Will a CD-RW perform better if it is a master vs. being installed as a slave? Will I see a remarkable increase if I have the CD-RW alone on a channel?

Good thing the Dragon Plus has 4 IDE channels! :D

any cool little programs for the Soyo boards, similar to the temp monitors of the ASUS boards (ASUS Tempster)?

FrozenInHI is absolutely correct. You would want to place drives of like performance on the same channel whenever possible. Even if a HD and CD-ROM/RW are on the same channel and the CD drive is not being used, it will still slow down throughput on that channel.

You are in luck with the Dragon+, though. You don't have to use the extra RAID channels as RAID. They can be reconfigured as two extra standard IDE channels, each capable of handling two more drives each (4 more total).

For best performance, place each drive on its own channel. This will especially help during burning operations. You will, however, be living in cable hell with four separate IDE cables cluttering up your box. I would suggest picking up some (in your case, four)rounded cables with only one single drive connector (as opposed to two drive connectors with the mobo attachment).

HHmm , have to disagree

I have a Dragon Plus and I have my harddrives and CD ROMS on separate channels as master and slave. I originaly had the hardrives on as master and slave on the same channel with the two CD ROMS on the same channel. But when doing CD burning you can use on the fly copying between two CD ROMS with them on the same channel, at least acording to ROXIO and CD CLone programs. Anyway I did a performance test both ways and the difference was only perhaps 2 or 3 ! not worth the time in my opinon. I use passmask performance test to do the testing and I dont have the numbers unfortunantly. I have since upgraded to XP and then back to W2K pro because of glide problems eith XP and also you have to disable the external cache in the bios to get XP to load porperly.....it would go into a state of continula reboots unless the cache was disabled.

Hope this helps
Dwight P: :D

you have to disable the external cache in the bios to get XP to load porperly.....it would go into a state of continula reboots unless the cache was disabled.

That stinks, glad you mentioned that cause I am ditching Win98SE in favor of XP Pro. Would be 2000 Pro, but compatibility problems with games and such. Did you notice a considerable decrease in performance after disabling it?

XP Pro no Go

It seemed slower than Win 2 K Pro to me! there was substantial increase speed in everything whe I went to W2K pro from 98 2nd edition, and all my games run fine..everything runs fine in w2K pro!!! I did like some of the features in XP , like the browser and the instant thumbnails on images and avi files. But with the cache disabled and Wolenstein would not run because of glide problems..it was a no go for me.

Note , I have a VooDoo5 64 meg agp video card and I could not find drivers for this card for XP by the manufacturer because Nviedia doesnt support this board anymore. I did try 3 different 3rd. party drivers with no luck.

Dwight P

cache

I was going to put win xp pro on with my new soyo dragon motherboard does that mean i have to disable cache on my motherboard ? Help im confused !

Gene

I think his problems were related driver issues with Voodoo card, which as he said is no longer supported by Nvidia. I have been running a dual boot with WinXP and did not notice the problems you mentioned, but then again that was a different version of XP and different mobo/setup.

I don't think I will have any problems with my GF3 and drivers in XP. What card do you have Takovr?

Re: cache

Takovr said:
I was going to put win xp pro on with my new soyo dragon motherboard does that mean i have to disable cache on my motherboard ? Help im confused !
I believe he meant that he had a video driver problem with his 3DFx card. 3DFx is no longer and nVidia bought them out (I belive). nVidia has provided no legacy (3DFx's Voodoo line of cards used an API known as Glide) support for Glide on WinXP. There may be outside support for these cards out there somewhere, but I don't know how reliable they might be (I have an old Voodoo card myself, and I'm planning to upgrade that machine to XP as well).

If you don't own a 3DFx video card, you should have no problems with Win XP.

A few details

I had to disable the cache before I could do an instalation of XP pro on a freshly formated harddrive, this was before any video drivers were installed!!!! the glide problems came later after the system was running and I tried to run wolfentein. I hope you have better luck than I with XP. I think it is inevitable that we all will have to move foreward in OSs.

Best of luck
Dwight P

Video Card

im getting ready to buy one tommorow i got 400.000 to spend,
what video card do you all recommend, I was thinking about buying the at1 radon all in 1 8500.. also what is the difference between a g-force 3 ti 200 and a g-force 3 ti500 is the extra money worth it for the ti 500.

Gene

mbigna said:
You are in luck with the Dragon+, though. You don't have to use the extra RAID channels as RAID. They can be reconfigured as two extra standard IDE channels, each capable of handling two more drives each (4 more total).

how do you configure ide 3 & 4 to work as normal ide channels and not raid?on the Dragon+?

Last edited:
Back