• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Amd or Intel, just a quick one guys :)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DRaZZ

Hi guys, iv been saving for a new system and going out my mind over the choices, it now comes down to one of these 2 parts lists, what i want to know is which is the better rig for gaming, i will have the cash all together at the start of next week so one of these will be built, i just wana make the right decission considering its going to be a gaming rig :)

Intel:

Core 2 duo E8400
Asus maximus II formula
4Gb ocz reaper 1066 DDR2
hd4890 1gb DDR5
----------
AMD:

Phenom II X2 550 BE 3.1 Ghz
Asus crosshair III Formula 790 FX
3Gb Patriot viper 12800 DDR3
HD4890 1Gb DDR5

Which system do you think i should go for then guys?
Thanks in advance.

Either way is a very good system, oth cpus will likely see close to 4ghz, the e8400 will probably OC further if you care.

It is worth noting that the AM3 socket is AMDs most current, while 775 is getting killed off by intel, so if you plan on upgrading later AMD is the way to go. If you plan on sticking with this setup, the e8400 will likely OC further so it may stay current slightly longer.

Either way, i'd wait two weeks on the GPU, ATI's new cards come out on the 22nd and promise to blow the 4xxx series out of the water, which should make that 4890 a good bit cheaper.

My general answer to AMD vs Intel:

Depends on your price-range, personal likes, and what you want to accomplish with your system.

Either way your gonna get a good system,

Targeted at your post:

Id go with the AMD setup, but that's just my opinion. Also wait for the 5000'ATI series, you'll have a awesome system then. Btw those AMD 550s are quite the champ for their price.
But would you consider a AMD X3?

i say gaming go with AMD and save the money for better graphics cards and other stuff, if your video editing or benchmarking go intel.

Thanks guys. I was edging towards the amd setup as its around £50 cheaper, I looked at the X3 but im kinda being massively optimistic and hoping that i can unlock the x2 to an x4, chances are against it happening i know but it would be kewl if it happened!
I may hold off then and buy a hd4650 for £40 until the 5 series comes out then, that way i can ditch the 4650 and get a 4890 or a 5 series depending on the prices.
AMD it is then guys, it is just for gaming, i dont video edit and not really bothered about benching so the amd will hold its own i guess as most the time the gpu will be the bottleneck untill i go crossfire in the future.
Thanks for the info guys, i should be getting these items midweek with any luck and i plan to slightly mod an Antec 902 with some red cathodes and the usual asthetics :)
I'll get some pics up and let you know what frame rates im hitting even if im only using a 4650 :)
Much appreciated
DRaZZ

Back