• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

School Funded Build!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mandlevi

Registered
Today in my A+ computer repair class our teacher Mrs. Brown told us that she had a been awarded a $1,400 fund for a computer build. Students of her class are given the assignment of gathering a core set of components and putting them together in a system and upload OS's etc.. So here is my question... Without spending weeks and months reviewing the better parts that I could get for that price, I would like it if people would collaborate a setup. I would also like to get my friends in the class into overclocking a little so anything w/ the best overclock for the price is awesome! Maybe just a Quad E8400 or something etc..? IDK just some ideas would help out alot

with 1.4k the possibilities are endless... though to help out configure this pc, maci has made a good point. as well what might this computer be used for?

well, I highly doubt it will do anything that needs an i5, or anything over an e8400 for that matter... but you know what... it got it =P

I say you build something practical, great bang for the buck, and power efficient...then again, I'm boring like that. :)

E7400 - $120 (or a Q9550 if you want to go quad)
Gigabyte G31 uATX board - $55 (these have pretty decent OC options)
4GB DDR2 RAM - $50
HD 4670 - $65
X-25M - $250
1TB Caviar Green (if you need the space) - $80
330w Seasonic S12 - $45
Antec Mini P180 - $70

Total: $735 ($485 if you drop the SSD)

Something like that could be really darn quiet and pull very little power from the wall. If you're competing with anyone else for a proposal, I think those are good selling points. Anyone can slap together a big high-powered expensive machine with fans that sound like a vacuum cleaner. Take more pride in your work than that. ;)

This is more than a build, it's also a project, and a potential way to get kids, who wouldn't neccesarilly into the hardware part of the pc otherwise, interested and participating.

Also, like I asked earlier, monitor(S) keyboard, mice, a projector?

This could be used for so many things, plus the kids have the opportunity to learn to build the pc.

awe, you guys are no fun =(

anyone can build a 775 rig for under $1400... I wanna see someone build and i7 rig for under $800! that'd be something!

anyways, we still need more info on what you want.

awe, you guys are no fun =(

anyone can build a 775 rig for under $1400... I wanna see someone build and i7 rig for under $800! that'd be something!

anyways, we still need more info on what you want.

lol no that hard, LGA1156 GB UD4P $169+i7 860 $299+DDR3-2000 $100. toss in your fav psu and a ati 4890.

still say if this is for school and learning as macri says. you should be building a LGA1156 or LGA1366 based system. as it is part of future computers and imo no need to use EOL parts.

We need more info from OP to figure out what this computer will need. I doubt it needs a 295. Drop that, get a 285 and a different HDD, a WD black 1TB and a SSD :)

That would be nice Evil except it's close to $800 without the PSU and you'd have a bare bench PC with no keyboard, mouse, monitor, speakers... ;) Doing a real complete i7 PC takes some careful selection. $480 is about the lowest for the mobo/CPU/RAM leaving $320 for everything else. So you've got to choose between a decent GPU or a decent monitor (either of which would be at least $100-150 bare minimum especially for the monitor) then add PSU case and peripherals. It's actually not that easy to build a balanced quality *complete* i7 for under $800 unless you're reusing parts. $1400 is easy though :D

With $1400 you can build a pretty high end pc these days.

Core i7 920
6GB DDR3
OCZ Vertex 60GB
Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R

Thats your base.. The rest of the stuff is pretty much up to you and how much power you need (graphics etc.)

yeah I just got the email from her, sorry for the wait. She will provide the monitor, but the mouse/keyboard are a no go, no big deal though. I was just talking component wise. Thanks for post btw

I'd recommend working on an 1156 or 1366 build, ssd for os, gtx275 or gtx280, plenty of storage space, 6 gb of memory or more, a very nice case.. comfortable, quality keyboard and mouse.

I agree, no reason to use anything below 1156 as it will be discontinued. I'm thinking the i7, SSD, 6Gb of ram and gtx275 are a great choice. More of a programming setup for school. They won't be doing much gaming at school.

I agree, no reason to use anything below 1156 as it will be discontinued. I'm thinking the i7, SSD, 6Gb of ram and gtx275 are a great choice. More of a programming setup for school. They won't be doing much gaming at school.

for programing imo it would be good idea to wet there feet with CUDA programing or the Open physic's standard(when ever they finalize that).

For programming I think it would be good to start with Java or Python or something. Do you really need a GTX275 for that?

Back