• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Keyboard and mouse suddenly stopped working

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Drinkyoghurt

Hi guys,

I was doing some stuff on my PC, in Vista when out of the blue my mouse and keyboard lost power, replugging them didn't work so I did a simple restart, hoping it would fix the problem. It didn't after the drivers are loaded, I think it regards the final driver, my mouse and keyboard lose all power and stop working. The same problem persists in Windows 7 which is odd to say the least.

Booting in Safe mode won't fix this either, though they work just fine in the windows 7 repair console.

So my question is: How do I resolve this problem? A hard format would be my very, very, very last option to this, as I have lots of stuff I have to keep.

USB mouse/keyboard?

My girlfriends laptop had a similar issue. I use a USB mouse when her laptop is set up on a table and It has 2x USB on the left side and 1x USB on the right side. I always use the mouse on the right side, but for some reason when I plug it in on the right side it won't see it, but the left it does, but the right side USB will take everything else, just not the mouse. No idea why, and not even sure this helps you at all, but just so you know I've had something similar.

Perhaps try another USB port if you have them available.

Do you have either SP1 or SP2 installed? If not, check to see if KB938371 has been installed by Windows Update... Control Panel--> Programs and Features--> View installed updates. Temporarily use a USB to PS2 adapter for your mouse and / or keyboard so you can access the Control Panel.

also might want to take a look at the Upper Filters in the reg to make sure its correct.

open regedit and navigate to
HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E96B-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

the UpperFilters key should be set to kbdclass. if not you can manualy edit it to be kbdclass.

does the keyboard work outside of windows?

I restored it to 9/11/2009 and it still didn't work.

The keyboard and mouse are working in the BIOS and in the boot selection screen. It's just beyond that that it won't work, like for some reason the drivers aren't giving the USB ports any power :confused:

Try reinstalling the chipset drivers. It worked before, so barring hardware failure it should work now. Also try reinstalling the mouse/keyboard drivers, but I tend to not think that's it.

also might want to take a look at the Upper Filters in the reg to make sure its correct.

open regedit and navigate to
HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E96B-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

the UpperFilters key should be set to kbdclass. if not you can manualy edit it to be kbdclass.

does the keyboard work outside of windows?
try this. it definitely sounds like it could be the issue. you will obviously have to do it with another KB

well, I finally found a ps2 keyboard, went into Windows 7, and in device manager I found that the chipset drivers were bummed, the network drivers and audio drivers were bummed too. I tried to install them, but it didn't work. I'll try the reg things next.

Back