• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Dual OS question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Estorilroc

Registered
Hey guys, I currently own a Macbook Pro that's a getting up there in age, and while the software and hardware are still good, the chassis is starting to show signs of aging (ie, warp, crimped disc drive slot and a couple others) which I don't blame it, it's aluminum and it's bound to happen with it being in my backpack a lot.

But my question to you guys is this, I can get a nice new Dell XPS laptop from my dads work and since I have a lot of files and programs that I use and need on my mac I'd like to see how difficult it is to run a dual OS on a PC. I know it's easy to do for a mac, but hadn't really heard anything about the other way around.

I tried calling Dell tech support but Hajii over in India made it difficult to understand any answers.

Thanks

Well, you can run MacOS on a PC, technically, however, given the illegalities therein nobody on this forum can help you. In theory they could, but nobody's going to risk it.

It isn't difficult to run a dual OS on a PC at all. But we can't help you if one of those is MacOS. now, if you wanted to run, say XP and 7 or 7 and Linux or something, assistance is available :)

Hajii over in India made it difficult to understand any answers.
be careful with language like this on the forums

As Estorilroc hinted at, unfortunately Apple has in their End User License Agreement that you may not install their OS on non Apple hardware. So you are going to have to pony up the extra dollars to get a Mac instead. The good news is that either through bootcamp or virtual machines you can run windows on your Mac.

be careful with language like this on the forums

As Estorilroc hinted at, unfortunately Apple has in their End User License Agreement that you may not install their OS on non Apple hardware. So you are going to have to pony up the extra dollars to get a Mac instead. The good news is that either through bootcamp or virtual machines you can run windows on your Mac.

yes this isnt really a subject that can really be discussed much at all here due to our forums rules on circumventing EULA restrictions. If you want to be able to run Apple software on a dell I would check out Insainlymac(dot)com.
Thats as much as I can say there but If you want to do a dualboot of Linux and windows to view and edit your mac created documents there can be a lot to lean here.

Back