• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Non SMP for multi-core processor

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

U D13 N0W

Just wondering, is there a way to run several instinces of FAH on a single computer? The rigs have dual core and quad core respectively. But since i can only fold for about an hour on each I dont want the quick deadline SMP WUs.
So is there a way I can give each core its own instance of FAH?
I would just borg with SMP but thats not an option in this case.

You can run one instance per cpu core by installing each instance in a seperate folder and giving each a different machine ID, but you wouldn't make the deadlines on some WUs running one hour per day.

they are all > 3Ghz, and the WUs would really get 2 hrs a day plus another 2 once a week, so basically 8 hrs a week, today alone i got one WU to 18% today was the extra 2 hrs.
So giving different machine ids will do it?

[edit]
another question:
is there a way to hide that a client is running without installing as a service? by hide it i mean have it running without having to have the dospromt type window open.

Last edited:
they are all > 3Ghz, and the WUs would really get 2 hrs a day plus another 2 once a week, so basically 8 hrs a week, today alone i got one WU to 18% today was the extra 2 hrs.
So giving different machine ids will do it?

[edit]
another question:
is there a way to hide that a client is running without installing as a service? by hide it i mean have it running without having to have the dospromt type window open.

Uhm, are these your machines? If they are work machines then that ain't cool. Sorry if I got this wrong.:)

Uhm, are these your machines? If they are work machines then that ain't cool. Sorry if I got this wrong.:)

If they are work machines, and the OP has permission to fold on them, preferably in writing, then all would be good. We actually had a teammate lose his job because he had verbal permission to fold on the office machines. When the higher ups asked about this process running on the machines, said teammates boss changed his/her story, and the rest is a sad story. If they are office rigs that you do not own, make sure to get written permission to fold on them. Not only does it look bad on the project (some have thought it was a virus taking up those CPU cycles), but it could also cost you your job. With that said, the best way to run the clients, without them being seen would be the console client, set up as a service. The only place that it would possibly be seen would be in task manager. Also, make sure the clients are set up with a machine ID of 0, 1, 2, and 3, respectively, while the dual core would be 0 and 1. This will assure that they will fold happily along, and should keep themselves tied to one core, if I remember correctly.

Thanks for reading between my lines and pointing out the possible conflict of interest point in better terms than in my short post deadlysyn.:) Serious affair for sure.

Very serious affair, and our teammate could have kept his job, and maybe only lost a hefty amount of PPD, had any of us thought to remind him to get the permission in writing. We were all just struck in awe at the serious numbers he was putting up, I guess. :shrug:

He was reminded, but when he said he had permission, we thought that was enough.

It's important to note that theft of computer service (even for a good cause), can be a serious crime, not just a misdemeanor civil infraction.

If the rigs in question aren't yours, get written permission. That's the oooonnnnnnllllyyyy way to fly. :clap:

He was reminded, but when he said he had permission, we thought that was enough.

It's important to note that theft of computer service (even for a good cause), can be a serious crime, not just a misdemeanor civil infraction.

If the rigs in question aren't yours, get written permission. That's the oooonnnnnnllllyyyy way to fly. :clap:

Yep, while I do fold at work, with the knowledge of my boss, I do it on a computer that I personally built and paid for all the parts in it.

Back