• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Tv Turner Stuff.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

GatorChamp

Hey guys and gals,
Just registered with Overclockers so first post. :) I have just order myself the parts to upgrade from my 5 year old system that was so good to me. I spend a good amount of time reading into what to get to build a budged gaming PC. My question has to do with recording and burning stuff in HD which I lack knowledge in.

Gator Football is huge to me, dont miss a game and my brother or I usually DVR the games for multiple viewings. I really dont know where to start in trying to get info for the products. My goal is to either record or take the games off the DVR so I can burn them to maybe a Bluray disc and some point down the road making highlight videos or something of the natue.

But what I want to know is what hardware do I need to record football games in HD? I currently have a 500GB Sata drive and i know this videos will be big, so will another HD be needed as well?

Thanks for any info or help on this.

Bump

Iv been looking into this and have not really picked up to much new info. I do know I need some type of HD tv turner card, but I still do not understand if I will be running through a cable box (via a HDMI cable) or if the coax cable info the card. I am guess the signal will be scrambled or something of that nature. If there is a sight that someone can link or give a little knowledge, much appreciated.

~ Thx

what is your tv provider? cable satellite or OTA?

if its cable check this out
http://www.engadgethd.com/2009/09/10/hands-on-with-the-ceton-cablecard-tuner/ the cable from the wall plugs into this, need a cable card from the company though

if its ota then any tuner card with hardware encoder will do, the antennae plugs into this

if its satellite then you're out of luck unless its dish network they have something in development for htpcs

I just recently purchased a Dual tv tuner ( i think thats the kind thats lets you record i could be and probably am wrong ), am getting reception via an antenna , and am able to record stuff with windows media center i doubt that helps but am myself not very familiar with all the standards and restrictions the new digital TV brings . In any case you would get more help in HTPC section of the forum :)

if you want to get HD programming over cable, then you can either get a tuner that supports QAM (for the major networks) or go for a cablecard setup. The easier route for now is the first. I use a pair of AverMedia M780's and the picture quality is excellent. I also have an AverMedia Bravo Hybrid which works fine but it doesn't do hardware encoding. Another popular QAM solution is the HD Homerun tuner.

As for storage, it all depends how long you intend to keep recorded material. I have just 300Gb and it works fine for recording football in HD though I usually delete after watching. If you keep a lot games, you'll want to get a larger drive just for storage. Check out the HTPC section, also thegreenbutton is a good resource.

Back