• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Q9550 - easy overclocker

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

itshondo

My 6600 Conroe just wasn't cutting it with my Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3 mobo, and Microcenter had the Q9550 on sale, so I went and picked one up.

What I wanted was a very stable quad at 3.0 Ghz +, and what I have got was a very easy 3.4 ghz on air (see my sig).

Here's my CPU data -

SLB8V MAYLAY

L847C139

I had to bump the vcore up to 1.2v to get it stable -

I know I can push it further, but i'm happy with this for right now (i'm time limited).

:beer:

Last edited:
i got mine to 3.7 - man, this baby FLIES. Could probably push it further but im a little bit scared! cost me an arm and a leg a few months back. My Q6600 went to silicone heaven and i dont want the same to happen to this. Was on the lappy for 5 whole days until my Q9 came! oh the woe of it all.... :(

My old q6600 (@3.4) encoded movies in maybe an hour, this beast does it in under 15, i kid you not.

BTW - whats with the 6GB mem?

Almost the same as mine with a similar L847C batch. All settings on default (no additional voltage needed for anything) and all I had to do was set 400 FSB to get a very stable 3.4.

i got mine to 3.7 - man, this baby FLIES. Could probably push it further but im a little bit scared! cost me an arm and a leg a few months back. My Q6600 went to silicone heaven and i dont want the same to happen to this. Was on the lappy for 5 whole days until my Q9 came! oh the woe of it all.... :(

My old q6600 (@3.4) encoded movies in maybe an hour, this beast does it in under 15, i kid you not.

BTW - whats with the 6GB mem?

I had a 2 Gb set and added a 4gb set - 6gb. Not all being used now but it will be when I upgrade to Windows 7.

COLD BOOT ISSUES -

I just got up and the rig wouldn't cold boot to 3.4 ghz no matter what I did. I tried changing / upping the voltages of the ram, MCH and the vcore, nothing worked.

Back at a stock 2.83 ghz for the time being -

Wait wow I just reread that it's on a P965 :eek: That's actually pretty impressive since P965 doesn't have all the tweaking voltages that help with a quad core. Did you have it stable at 400 FSB some other time? If so you may want to try the same non-CPU settings for voltage and whatnot.

Well, I'm priming right now at 3.4 ghz ( 8.5 X 400) - no problems so far.

This after the rig warmed up for 45 minutes.

So it's a cold boot issue- I'll post up my voltages for the rig as it is right now -

Ok, I Primed for most of the morning with no issues.

Here are my settings -

CPU Host Freq - 400
Memory Freq - 800
System multi - 2.0
Timings - 4-4-4-12
(DDR2 800)
DDR volts - +.3
PCI-E Overvolts - +.1
FSB Overvolts - +.2
(G)MCH Overvolts - +.1
Vcore - 1.20v

(normal vcore - 1.875v)

My timings were previously set at 5-5-5-15 but I returned them to spec 4-4-4-12 a few minutes ago and it seems to running fine.

Any suggestions on what might need to be adjusted to stop the cold boot issue?

Thanks -

Last edited:
I was having problems Priming with only .1v DDR overvoltage, so I increased it to .3v and it's priming away fine right now.

Still looking for suggestions on the what I might try regarding the cold boot issue -

I've thought about getting the latest and last 45nm CQD chip for my P965 Commando. It would have to be really inexpensive because if too much $$$, I might as well go i7 or i9.

I run FAH 24/7 @ 3GHz 100% loading 50°C under a TR128S cooler in summer and it's rock solid stable as long as the processor temps stay under 70°C. I might be able to push it to 3.2 but then I'd only get < 10% increased PPD for a lot more strain on the processor and higher temps and more errors. Not to mention an exponential power consumption curve increase.

I'm curious to see how stable your new chip is running heavy loads and how your temps are running.

It is currently Prime stable with the latest settings -

CPU Host Freq - 400
Memory Freq - 800
System multi - 2.0
Timings - 4-4-4-12
(DDR2 800)
DDR volts - +.3
PCI-E Overvolts - +.1
FSB Overvolts - +.2
(G)MCH Overvolts - +.1
Vcore - 1.20v

Whether or not I solved the cold boot issue is still uncertain, as I've been using the rig all morning.

I'll post a screenie of the load temps in a few (just started Priming again)

cpuz1f.jpg
cpuz2e.jpg

With an FSB of only 400 MHz, you shouldn't need to increase the VTT past the default of 1.2v. Adding .2v via FSB Overvoltage Control increases VTT to 1.4v, which w/ even a 45nm quad is too much at that bus speed. I would also leave the PCI-E Overvoltage Control option at Normal / AUTO. Adding .1v to the MCH / NB probably makes sense considering 6 GB of RAM installed, but I would try setting the other two voltages back to their defaults.

With an FSB of only 400 MHz, you shouldn't need to increase the VTT past the default of 1.2v. Adding .2v via FSB Overvoltage Control increases VTT to 1.4v, which w/ even a 45nm quad is too much at that bus speed. I would also leave the PCI-E Overvoltage Control option at Normal / AUTO. Adding .1v to the MCH / NB probably makes sense considering 6 GB of RAM installed, but I would try setting the other two voltages back to their defaults.

I'll give that a try -

Ok, I lowered the voltages and it operated fine.

But the cold boot issue came back (after i shut the computer off for a few hours).

I raised the Vcore to 1.225 and it booted up fine.

Well, I keep getting the cold boot issue, so I will be upgrading my system yet again.

Getting a GIGABYTE GA-EP45-UD3R mobo and 8 gb of 1066 ram.

Going to use my current board and the conroe to build a rig for my Dad.

Back