• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Curious about mechanics behind usenet vs torrent downloading

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Ashura

My internet/networking knowledge is pretty limited, sorry if this question has a super obvious answer. :)

Why it is that when I'm downloading with usenet and Newsbin at speeds of 1MB/s I'm still able to semi comfortably browse the internet (it's not snappy but it's definitely not dial up speed either) but when I'm downloading with torrents, even at speeds of 200KB/s, browsing slows to a crawl? Just curious.

Cause torrents need uploads too (even if you set the upload speed to nothing).
USENET and web browsing nearly don't need any upload in comparison.

u probably dont have your torrent program setup right... gotta limit your upload speeds otherwise you will clog your net big time.

u probably dont have your torrent program setup right... gotta limit your upload speeds otherwise you will clog your net big time.
downloads as well? or else it might be trying to hog all your bandwidth...i'm not sure.
but i always limit both my download and upload - my browsing experience seems to run a little smoother when i set limits.

Even if uTorrent uploads are set to 0KB/sec, my web browsing is slower with torrenting versus when downloading 1MB/sec with Newsbin.

IT may also be a # of connections issue. While I am not that familiar with usenet I do know of people having issues with torrents maxing out their connections and reaming their connection.

My browsing is non effected when I am running torrent programs, it's also got to with your router, and how many connections it likes to handle, or not.

Even if uTorrent uploads are set to 0KB/sec, my web browsing is slower with torrenting versus when downloading 1MB/sec with Newsbin.

Torrents open up a whole bunch of connections. Either limit global connections in uTorrent, or upgrade your router.

Doesn't 0 = unlimited in the uTorrent world?

Heh, yes. I was exaggerating and meant to say that even if uploads are extremely low my web browsing speed suffers.

Does your router do QoS? If so, use it...and set bit torrent at the lowest possible priority, then you wont get any slowdown with your web surfing.

IT may also be a # of connections issue. While I am not that familiar with usenet I do know of people having issues with torrents maxing out their connections and reaming their connection.

My browsing is non effected when I am running torrent programs, it's also got to with your router, and how many connections it likes to handle, or not.

Torrents open up a whole bunch of connections. Either limit global connections in uTorrent, or upgrade your router.

I got the D-Link DIR-655 a while ago and I remember trying to correctly implement QoS and failing miserably at the time, with torrents interfering with Vonage no matter what I did. Maybe I should take another crack at it, I probably missed something completely obvious 2 years ago. :)

Are you on DSL?

DSL has much better upload speed, however it always seemed to effect my DL speed when it was topping out than vica versa. Cable internet UL speed was not a problem (possibly because there was so little)

QoS on consumer routers tends to suck pretty bad anyways.

Best thing you can do is limit download/upload to 80% real traffic (speedtest somewhere) and limit global connections to around 200. You might also want to try dropping UDP and TCP timeouts to really low values, like 90/90.

Back