• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Highest OC possible with stock NB cooling

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

grishenko45

Hi all,

Im planning on getting my Q9650 to 4.2Ghz - it is water cooled

my nb isnt - i got my old e8500 to 4ghz with the nb standard cooling - oh - ive got a n asus p5q deluxe - its got pretty good NB cooling already - but im gonna have to overvolt quite a bit for 4.2ghz

have any of you got a high OC with stock NB cooling? like 4Ghz+

thanks

Unless you have all 4 dimms populated, the NB will do just fine with stock cooling. However, having some air move over the NB would'nt hurt ;)

Hi all,

Im planning on getting my Q9650 to 4.2Ghz - it is water cooled

my nb isnt - i got my old e8500 to 4ghz with the nb standard cooling - oh - ive got a n asus p5q deluxe - its got pretty good NB cooling already - but im gonna have to overvolt quite a bit for 4.2ghz

have any of you got a high OC with stock NB cooling? like 4Ghz+

thanks

My Q9650 runs at 4275MHz on a P5Q Pro Turbo (P45 Chipset) and the whole system is air cooled (and I am using all 4 DIMM slots)

Seems to run just fine.

Personally I like to add a small fan to the NB when all 4 dimms are occupied. The NB starts to cook quite a bit during high FSB's.

Personally I like to add a small fan to the NB when all 4 dimms are occupied. The NB starts to cook quite a bit during high FSB's.

Adding the fan directly to the Northbridge is pretty much impossible in my instance because of the Heatsink I am using. It blocks part of the Chipset heatsink so I have installed a Panaflow that is pointed at it to cool it when I am making hi-speed runs. (over 4.275GHz)

thanks guys - ive got an antec 900 - the optional fan mount on the side panel ive put in a high flow 120mm that blows directtly over the NB and catches the SB - it delivers 60cfm of air - so the NB is cooled by this too.
and ive only got 2 of the 4 DIMM slots occupied

My x38 is oc to 425 mhz (1700mhz fsb). I have overcloked a q6600 to 3.4 with very decent nb temps. i used an old small dvr hd fan and used ties to tie it around the nb heatsink. its not on top, but blows the hot air to the side. brought my nb temps from 52c down to 44c (idle). now i hit 55 with full load on prime blend test.

Back