• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

9800gt, is it worth upgrading?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

soysuperbien

Hi,

I currently have a intel e8400 and 4gbram on a gigabyte GA-EP43-S3L. my current gpu is a 9800gt 512mb, i was thinging of upgrading to a gtx260, i have seen an ASUS 216 core version for £120 on ebuyer. do you think its worth upgrading now or hanging on for a dx11 card or saving more and getting a better 200seires card?

Thanks

Depends if you plan on playing DX11 games. Surely they will support DX10 and probably 9 as well though. The DX11 cards will probably come in at a higher price premium, but from what I have seen ATi's line up is quite well priced. Coming out next week supposedly, I would wait and see what happens, either buy a DX11 card after or the price of the older cards will drop.

It would be better for you to post your whole system specification including power supply so we can give you better suggestions.

I have a E8400 oc to 3.6, 4gb of corsair xsm2 6400,gigabyte mobo GA-EP43-S3L, WD caviar blue 640gb hdd, with a Antec Basiq Plus 550W psu in a antec 300 case. OS Windows xp 64bit, will be 7 when its released. hope this helps! Thanks again

Seems to me you have a good power supply and don't need replacement for newer cards. Your 3.6ghz should not bottleneck most video cards unless you run SLI. I would agree with Badbonji and wait for Radeon 5870/5850 to come out first before you purchase anything.

il hang on then, like you say i might be able to get a better deal when the new radeons are out, then i will wait for my next big upgrade for the dx11 card. thanks guys

Back