• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Tiny filesize mismatch with PC-BSD?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Edward78

I downloaded PCBSD7.1.1-x86-DVD.iso it is 1.98 Gig on my HDD, on the site the link says it is 2.0 gig. I checked the md5sum, it is right though.

Interesting, I'm not entirely sure about this but I'm wondering if it's merely a difference between the reporting of bytes between base 2[your system] and base 10[the server].

?

Interesting, I'm not entirely sure about this but I'm wondering if it's merely a difference between the reporting of bytes between base 2[your system] and base 10[the server].

?

Took all night to get it, my ISP kind of sucks, paying $50 for 768 kbs down. Greedy S.O.Bs., anyway, the md5sum matches what's on the site 50893244021249be8a9a4882816aba6a *PCBSD7.1.1-x86-DVD.iso is what I got.

Don't worry about it... has to do with the filesystem's blocksize and how it stores information. Basically, think of like gallons of water vs liters of water. If you have a certain amount of water to store, it won't exactly fill the gallon or the liter probably. If you multiply the total number of liters needed by the volume of a liter and the total number of gallons by the volume of a gallon, you get different total volumes. However, you have the same amount of water.

File size reported is the amount of space it takes on that computer using that filesystem, not the actual amount of useful data. Try copying files between filesystems (like ntfs to ext3 or something) and they will often change a bit.

Back