• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

bottleneck between CPU an GPU??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

whiteshark

Registered
i bought an msi ati radeon hd4670 and i m really satisfied with it, it's really good for games, i'm playig an x-man wolwerine now...but i felt some performance differentes when my cpu is at stock speed intel dual core e2160 1.80Ghz, and when i overclock it to 2.4Ghz...so it's obviosly that i need a better processor, so which CPU would be the best for my motherboard ASUS P5KPL LGA 775 and my whole sistem? thanks ...:burn:

http://www.asus.com/product.aspx?P_ID=PBZkkOWANwHqCOO7

If all you do is game, then the CPU support list there shows your system can support a e8400. This would be my first choice. If you use multi-threaded applications and thus need more than a dual core, then the Q9550, or something along those lines is my recommendation..

But gathering from that, I'd say youre just a casual user and gamer correct? In which case a nice e8400 at stock should be plenty for your needs. And they OC quite well, even on stock volts if you're lucky you should hit 3.5ghz (Some are lucky, some are not, others just have better motherboards :p).

ok, thanks, and you are right, i m a casual gamer ;), i was thinking to go with e8400, but what do you think it's better, e8400/or for price which is equal to
new AMD athlon quad core processor and motherboard...

If you're going a new system, then save up for a i5 750, thats my choice. If you only want to upgrade to help your current system, then the e8400 is for you.

I can't justify going from a C2D/Q system like that (easily upgradable to an e8400 or whatever), for basically an entire new AMD system. Amd's fastest dualie (as far as i know) is the 550 BE, and it still runs slower at stock (again, as far as i know), than the e8400. Its more comparable to the e7400 at stock clocks. And the e8400 will see a larger OC.

So i definitely say the e8400, the extra juice shall feed your card quite well. And a mild OC will see a few more fps here and there too =).

Oh and with the i5 thing, wait that out too, buy your e8400, then later on if you still only desire dual core, the dualies are coming out soon for the i5, some with HyperThreading if I remember correctly, so keep an eye out for those.

Again this is all my opinion, so do whats best for you.

Back