• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Instructions on Overclocking

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

tinyslim

Hi. I have an AMD Phenom 64 X4 9950 125W Black Edition Quad-Core CPU processor, an ASUS M3N72-D Motherboard, 2GB 1066 RAM, 600 watt PSU. How do I overclock this? I've read that this should be done thru the BIOS and I read that there are software that I can install to do this right from my OS w/o going into the BIOS. I have Vista Ultimate 32-bit. Which is better? I downloaded the software but have not installed them yet. I'm looking for some advice and instructions. What should I do? Thanks

AMD Overdrive (AOD) is the preferred program for OC'ing inside windows. That said, it's really only good for exploring rough limits of your OC. BIOS overclocking is the preferred method because it's more stable.

First off, I'd glance through the AM2 Overclocking thread. While it's written for K8 CPU's (your Phenom is a K10) there are several things in there worth doing on all systems and it'll give you a guide for exploring your BIOS. You don't need to read all the technical details if you don't want to, but skimming it, then performing the suggested tests will get you started. (There's a cheat sheet in post #26) ... :)
http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=555058

Back