• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

is topping out at 54c to high for this cpu?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

sage0030

im overclocking this phenom 2x4 955 at 3.6 the voltage is at 1.37 and it tops out at 54c core temp,? im all open for idea,s im really new to this, I know to keep raising and lowing vcore untill its stable, I have it stable, but it tops out at 54c?? maybe I need to take off heatsink and reaply paste?

55c is my opinion on the overclocking heatwall, and what heatsink and method of applying thermal paste did you use?

i woudl've thought 54c load is pretty good. even though we're talking about an AMD cpu here, my Core 2 Duo loads at around 50c as well.

what heatsink are you using? getting some mid range/high end air cooling will drop your temps a lot.
my stock CPU cooler loaded my cpu at stocks speeds at 55c. when i bought a TRUE my load temps dropped to 30c load.

54°C is about as high as you want to go if that is the temperature under load, meaning the CPU has 100% usage. Running Prime95 or OCCT can load the CPU 100%. Many have asked and so will I, what CPU cooler are you using???
i woudl've thought 54c load is pretty good. even though we're talking about an AMD cpu here, my Core 2 Duo loads at around 50c as well.

what heatsink are you using? getting some mid range/high end air cooling will drop your temps a lot.
my stock CPU cooler loaded my cpu at stocks speeds at 55c. when i bought a TRUE my load temps dropped to 30c load.
I doubt the Intel quad owners see anywhere near those temps at 400 MHz over stock speeds without an after-market cooler ...

room temp is around 70f, just put a new fan and heatsink on it, using arctic silver 5, using this cooler, http://www.crazypc.com/products/v10-50911.html

using prime95, voltage are at cpu voltage 1.5 clocked at 3.8 and the load temp is currently, 53c, testing this right now, I believe im at mylimit. what a ***** this cooler was getting in the case, almost did not fit,

Last edited:
Let me start by saying, as has already been said, your temps are ok under load. Personally, with the cooler you posted, I would have looked for lower load temps. I would expect your load temps to lower as the AC5 sets in over the next week or so, and if they don't, I might be tempted to pull the cooler and check 1) the CPU for flatness (my 940 needed lapping to cool properly under my TRUE), 2) the coverage of the heatsink compound, and 3) to check what temp the TEC portion of that HS is supposed to "kick in". I am jealous of your heatsink as I have looked at it with greed in my eye, just couldn't justify spending the cash on it.

That's not a bad temp at all for 1.5V, but not very impressive either. However, if you're 3.8 is stable at 1.5V and that temp then you have a 24/7 OC to a very nice (imo) level.

Let me start by saying, as has already been said, your temps are ok under load. Personally, with the cooler you posted, I would have looked for lower load temps. I would expect your load temps to lower as the AC5 sets in over the next week or so, and if they don't, I might be tempted to pull the cooler and check 1) the CPU for flatness (my 940 needed lapping to cool properly under my TRUE), 2) the coverage of the heatsink compound, and 3) to check what temp the TEC portion of that HS is supposed to "kick in". I am jealous of your heatsink as I have looked at it with greed in my eye, just couldn't justify spending the cash on it.

OP: You might want to consider lapping your heatsink as well.

Tom, what temps were you getting with the 940 and TRUE? I wanted to get a TRUE myself but didn't because it can only mount horizontally :X

Also, TRUE > V10 from everyone's results I've seen, by a good margin. Granted you have to do a few mods to get the most of out of the TRUE (especially lapping) but it's apparently the best air cooler out. Though because it can only mount horizontally on AM2/AM3, the Prolimatech Megahalems is probably the best AMD air cooler out. The V10 just looks exceedingly cool.

OP: What fans are you running on the V10? If you're looking for lower temps, some faster and/or 38mm deep 120mm fans would definitely help.

I think that you've hit the limit, running at 54c but it is an acceptable range, like its been said here.

1.5v on air is pretty good though.

How did you acheive 1.37v @ 3.6ghz with 54c load and then 1.5v @ 3.8ghz with 53c load though?

I think that you've hit the limit, running at 54c but it is an acceptable range, like its been said here.

1.5v on air is pretty good though.

How did you acheive 1.37v @ 3.6ghz with 54c load and then 1.5v @ 3.8ghz with 53c load though?

I just recently switched cpu fans, im going to try cooling right now if I can figure out how to mount it,

Back