• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Pelteir with air cooler?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Darrenct

Can you use a peltier with an air cooler, or do you need to have water cooling? I have an Alpha 8045... I also have a delta 68 cfm if I need it.
I only have a 300 Watts Power Supply, will I need to upgrade if I want to run a pelt?

I can't afford a Water Cooler right now, so I wanted to see if it is possible to use a Pelt with what I have. I also still need to know if my power supply will have to be upgraded.

it can be done with the aircooling, but, your going to need a good size pelt for the CPU, and most likely the air cooling will be just enough to keep the temps aout the same as they are right now, and pretty good chance it could run hotter

remember, you have to get rid of the heat on the pelt for it to be effective

what PSP are you using? i have a enermax 550 watt, and i was told that if i went with anything bigger than a 80 watt that i would have a hard time with power, besides that, the bigger pelts get up past 12volts, so youll be starving the bigger pelts

i am fairly new to this, so there are others here that may be more informative

I only have a 300 Watt PSU, so I'm sure that would need to go... My Alpha 8045 is a pretty nice heat sink, so I think it would do fine with driving off heat created from the pelt. Hopefully there's an experienced person somewhere that will give some replies to this thread.

since you have a 1.4 that means you will need somewhere around a 220 watt pelt, i seriously doubt that any heatsink will take that much heat effecintly enough to make a differance

*edit*when you get into the higher pelts you almos need to have a outside power source for it. most psu won't take a pelt plus everything else.

A good setup that a buddy of mine had was to use a watercooler on the system, and use pelts to chill the water, since the cold side of a pelt goes to subzero, if you effectively chill the hot part, you can get water temps to sub zero.

I have a 220W TEC and the thing makes my maze2 run hot, an air cooled heatsonk would fry to bits trying to cool one.

ButcherUK said:
I have a 220W TEC and the thing makes my maze2 run hot, an air cooled heatsonk would fry to bits trying to cool one.

what temps do u get with that baby? and what psu are u useing for it?
i wanna add a pelt, but the psus are hard to get under 75 :(

No temps as of yet - I don't have any foam for insulation.
As for power I use a 3-15V@25A cont. bench supply. Cost £100 ($150), you won't get one for much under $100.

Unless you can find a heck of a deal on ebay or something, you will definitely pay some big bucks to get a psu for a high wattage pelt. I bought a Meanwell S-300-24v psu for my 120 watt pelt, which is big enough to power a 172 watt pelt, for around $150 delivered. A 172 watt pelt would be the absolute minimum size pelt I would put on an Athlon proc.

Back