• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Ultra X3 issues with sli

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

aphellyon

I was wanting to get an X3 1000w for my next build. I really like the aesthetics but was a bit concerned with it's track record. Johnnyguru gave it a thumbs up, but I found a thread over on EVGA bashing these things. Looks like they may not play well with modern GTX cards. Is this a known issue, or just a case of a couple'a bad power supplies out of a thousand kind'a thing? Should I just go Corsair and call it a day?

I'll be running a 920 oc'd to 4.whatever, a couple of raptors, prolly a single 2TB drive, blue ray and 2x 295s wc'd with 2x 355s and 6, maybe 12 fans on the rads with a few LEDs and CCFLs.

TIA for any advice. :)

I was wanting to get an X3 1000w for my next build. I really like the aesthetics but was a bit concerned with it's track record. Johnnyguru gave it a thumbs up, but I found a thread over on EVGA bashing these things. Looks like they may not play well with modern GTX cards. Is this a known issue, or just a case of a couple'a bad power supplies out of a thousand kind'a thing? Should I just go Corsair and call it a day?

I'll be running a 920 oc'd to 4.whatever, a couple of raptors, prolly a single 2TB drive, blue ray and 2x 295s wc'd with 2x 355s and 6, maybe 12 fans on the rads with a few LEDs and CCFLs.

TIA for any advice. :)

After reading those same reviews (Johnnyguru) I decided to try an X3 1600W. Several RMA's later I got fed up with it and just asked for my money back. I was out like $100 for shipping the stupid things back and forth.

Yea, I've heard plenty of horror stories about these things since I posted. Plus, I didn't know about them suing everybody over patent stuff... guess that's why no one posted to answer my question. :shrug: I'll steer clear of these things. Thanks for the heads up. :)

EDIT: Wow, just noticed you're running a galaxy 1250. That's a lot for a single 285, yes? :)

Last edited:
Yea, I've heard plenty of horror stories about these things since I posted. Plus, I didn't know about them suing everybody over patent stuff... guess that's why no one posted to answer my question. :shrug: I'll steer clear of these things. Thanks for the heads up. :)

EDIT: Wow, just noticed you're running a galaxy 1250. That's a lot for a single 285, yes? :)

It is a lot, but you never know when I'll get bored and throw something silly in my case that may need 1250.

It is a lot, but you never know when I'll get bored and throw something silly in my case that may need 1250.

Heh, yea.... pretty soon, when the 285 prices start dropping, it might be tempting for you to go tri-sli maybe. :) How is the noise on that galaxy anyways?

aphellyon

Did you trying sending a PM to Oklahoma Wolf?

Looking at his posts (on JohnnyGuru's forums) he doesn't mention any issues with it.

G/L!

A power supply is not really something you want to "take a chance" on. I respect OW's knowledge on PSU's and would trust it over, a couple of posts from people on random forums. Ultra makes some crap PSU's, but from what I've read the X3 isn't one of them.

I don't hear any noise over the fan of my EVGA GTX285. I have to set it to 100% so the card doesn't overheat.

Heh, I'll be taking the fans off my cards for water, so the PSU might be the loudest thing in my system... as long as my rad fans stay quiet.

Back