• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Build of hd 5870 2gb crossfire, gpus due out tomorrow

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

rtaylor07

Registered
Build of hd 5870 2gb crossfire

Here is my triple monitor build based on the intel i7 920 and amd hd5870 2gb in crossfire. The cards are slated for release tomorrow. God willing it will actually happen ;p

This build comes in at exactly $3003 with shipping and tax, give or take a bit for actual gpu pricing, I have the two gpus combined at $898. A few things as listed are new egg, all else is in different locations for good deals, if you want to know the price of a component and the link for it, leave a comment, I don't have the time to price them all at the moment but will update with them later.

I will post pictures of the build coming together after I order and I'll youtube a video of it running and a short session of l4d on ultra settings across the three screens.

Feel free as always to offer your comments or support, if you feel you know of a better component let me know. If something on my build is wrong meaning I put something incompatible, let me know criticism is our friend. Just don't flame please, this is a supportive community and an awesome one at that, lets keep it that way.

Before anybody flames about my usage for this system.

I do video game programming and the wifey is an animator.

Uses:
High end, long session gaming "yum, well when the kids are sleeping at least...when is that...never :( lol
High end Photoshop
3ds Max
Maya
Adobe full studio, flash, dreamweaver, illustrator ect...
Multiple Video Editing Software
Zevhra Brush
Coral Studio
java, c++, c#, python, graphic intense programming
and many more, to much to list

Video Cards:
amd/ati radeon hd 58702gb in crossfire for best resolution support
$898

Monitors x3:
ASUS VW224U 22" Widescreen LCD Monitor - 5000:1, 2ms, 1680x1050, DVI
Will be going 5040 x 1050, and hoping to have every game on the highest settings.
$479

Cpu:
i7 920 will oc to an undetermined range. Monetioned in a previouse thread I would liek to hit 2.4 to 2.8 I'll do my best.
$213

Cpu Cooling "The beast":
Cooler Master V10

Case, the best cable management I have ever seen, also HAF stands for "High Air Flow" awesome for those of us to cheap to go liquid.
HAF 922
Not enough money for the 932 lol but it fits the v10 like a glove so I've seen and can fit tri sli cards so my crossfire hd 5870s should fit.

Mother board:
ASUS P6T SE LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail

Memory:
CORSAIR XMS3 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model TR3X6G1600C8 G - Retail will upgrade to 12 eventaully

Ram heat sink very sexy and keeps your oc ram very cool:
XIGMATEK dragoon-n422 Aluminum alloy HDT family cooler for RAM module - Retail
89.99 for 3 packs of 2, extra 3 for the rest of the ram later

psu:
Corsair Professional CMPSU-850HX 850W Power Supply

OS/Install drive:
OCZ OCZSSD2-1VTXT60G 60GB (SSD) SATA II Solid State Drive (SSD) Solid State Drive Retail 240 mb/s read 140 mb/s write

Storage drive didn't need anything fancy or fast for storage. Saves money:
Seagate Barracuda LP ST31000520AS 1TB 5900 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Hard Drive - OEM

Hard drive Cooling: Getting the cooler as I expect to add one more drive running at a faster speed and that will most likely benefit from a little cooling. Until then I'll use it on the cheap drive.
MASSCOOL SYTRIN Kuformula SHF1 Ultra HDD Cooler – BK - Retail

optical drive:
LG 22X Super Multi DVD Writer Black SATA Model GH22NS40R - Retail

Thermal Paste:
Arctic Silver 5 Thermal Compound - OEM

Keyboard:
I'm a razor fan, sorry to the haters, well I'm not sorry actually :santa:
Razer Lycosa Programmable Backlit Gaming Keyboard

Headset
RAZER Megalodon Gold-plated USB Circumaural 7.1 Surround Sound Gaming Headset

Mouse:
Razer Naga

Last edited:
NDA is over tomorrow , we dont know if it actually going to get released tomorrow , and highly doubt ATI would release the cards without any reviews done . DVD drive for 50 $ ? am not sure where you are buying but they are usually ~30$ .Drop the V10 its not good , Get a "True" or a "Megahalem".And sorry you are not going to max all games with 5870 crossfire , being that 5040 x 1050 is a very demanding resolution.

1. No ram cooling is neccesary.
2. HDD cooling is not necessary either.
3. Coolermaster V10 is a rip off. Prolimitech Megahlem is your best bet or a TRUE.
4. Stock speed for that chip is 2.x already. I think your goal is 3.4-3.8Ghz. And with that in mind, see points 1 and 2 again.

1. No ram cooling is neccesary.
2. HDD cooling is not necessary either.
3. Coolermaster V10 is a rip off. Prolimitech Megahlem is your best bet or a TRUE.
4. Stock speed for that chip is 2.x already. I think your goal is 3.4-3.8Ghz. And with that in mind, see points 1 and 2 again.

The reason I want the heatsinks for my ram, is I am going to overclock them, also I feel like the inside of my system will get a little hot regardless of all my cooling because of the 2 hd5870s. The hard drive one is just one more component to keep cool and not have it putting out heat. The last seagate I had was hot to the touch after minutes of having the system on. All of this cooled would prevent heat from spreading between components and let the cooling focus more on the proc and the gpus. I'm sure after a little ill buy after market gpu coolers and overclock the gpus.

I read some good reviews on the v10 - true comparison. I have no problem switching over to the true as it is cheaper but I don't know anything about it. If I get a true do I need to purchase a fan as well to blow directly on the heatsink? Which is the better cooler the Prolimitech or the True?

So tomorrow is just the review release date of the hd5870. I looked around at all the sites again and they all have the same release date of 22nd for the US and 23rd for Europe. Is this a mistake, I'm definitely confused now.

kkpudge7: There are benchmarks available.

CharlieCS: I've seen an sli setup of 2xgtx 285 run crysis at that rez with all high settings just a few settings under. I would expect the 5870 to be much better and it has 2gb of ram making far more gpu memory for higher rez's.

Also I've not bought a video card at debut, I hadn't realized they released reviews first and then the card a month later. Is that the norm?

Last edited:
The reason I want the heatsinks for my ram, is I am going to overclock them, also I feel like the inside of my system will get a little hot regardless of all my cooling because of the 2 hd5870s. The hard drive one is just one more component to keep cool and not have it putting out heat. The last seagate I had was hot to the touch after minutes of having the system on. All of this cooled would prevent heat from spreading between components and let the cooling focus more on the proc and the gpus. I'm sure after a little ill buy after market gpu coolers and overclock the gpus.

I read some good reviews on the v10 - true comparison. I have no problem switching over to the true as it is cheaper but I don't know anything about it. If I get a true do I need to purchase a fan as well to blow directly on the heatsink? Which is the better cooler the Prolimitech or the True?

So tomorrow is just the review release date of the hd5870. I looked around at all the sites again and they all have the same release date of 22nd for the US and 23rd for Europe. Is this a mistake, I'm definitely confused now.

kkpudge7: There are benchmarks available.

CharlieCS: I've seen an sli setup of 2xgtx 285 run crysis at that rez with all high settings just a few settings under. I would expect the 5870 to be much better and it has 2gb of ram making far more gpu memory for higher rez's.

Also I've not bought a video card at debut, I hadn't realized they released reviews first and then the card a month later. Is that the norm?
Still not necessary. If anything, you are extracting MORE heat to dump within your case. You dont need either. Save yourself $100 and trust those who you ask for a response from. :)

:drool:

+2 for TRUE over V10

lol ok ok true it is, can someone please link what i need "true plus fans ect"

Also I will not purchase the ram heatsinks if you guys really think it wont help at all.

Saves money always exciting

You cant go to the website you are going to purchase the TRUE from and see what it comes with? It does come with a fan I do believe.

Ram, nor HDD cooling is necessary with your goals (or even a lot higher).

I would just stick with the V10. You are already spending $3000 anyways :p

Ignore that post, the v10 with the i7 OC'd will be a bigger waste.

Stick with the TRUE and scythe fans.. cant go wrong!

and a +1 on all of the posts to ignore hdd/mem cooling.. adding more heat into the box that your i7 is dumping to is only going to make it worse

Ignore that post, the v10 with the i7 OC'd will be a bigger waste.

Stick with the TRUE and scythe fans.. cant go wrong!

and a +1 on all of the posts to ignore hdd/mem cooling.. adding more heat into the box that your i7 is dumping to is only going to make it worse

Thanks guys, only problem now is waiting for the 2gb 5870, so far only the 1gb have arrived and limited at 1 per customer as well. Also for info sake, it seems only the eyefinity edition 5870 can run more than 2 monitors at once.

OMFG!! I seriously almost wet myself when I heard about the multi-monitor support. This is something I have been waiting for without having to go the matrox route.

Think My current rig will support it? I only have (2) monitors tho...do I need 3?

+5 on the TRUE, depending on what your hardrives are used for plan on getting some western digital greens, if it is just storage. Runs cool and low power. Along with your SSD both should produce barely any heat.

On my current setup whenever everything else in my case is hot, my harddrives are very cool to touch.

If it is for main apps then get some hd coolers.

Apparently the 5870s are really really hot!! Tom's Hardware reported them going up to 100 degrees celcius when put in crossfire. Make sure you got some good fans there!

Back