• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

News From Pande Group (Stanford)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Very interesting indeed... sounds like the landscape is going to change once again. :)

I especially find the SMP2 upgrades interesting... I recall on several occasions pointing out that the SMP client was multi-process and not multi-threaded. Each core process is within itself running more than one thread, but not for scientific calculations... I suspect the other 3 out of the 4 threads an SMP core process are used for MPI (message passing interface), leaving the last thread for the actual calculations. In other words, there's the overhead with the current implementation.

From the standpoint of someone who writes log parsing code... I'll be happy to see the erratic log writes in the SMP client logs go away. I believe this truly multi-threaded approach will facilitate that.

Guess I need to get back on the (oh yeah, don't talk about ...) to get HFM ready for these new goodies. :)

Always thought the old GPU2 client has been plenty stable... Out of 1908 GPU2 wu's completed I only have 6 failed. With at least 4 coming from power outages. This has been the best year ever for folding and forgetting. It may be my avoidance of SMP has helped as well.

If the GPU3 is more stable then that, that will be impressive.:beer:failed.jpg

Attachments

• failed.jpg
    failed.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 266
Last edited:
I'm liking the sound of GPU3 being backward compatible. :thup:
I hope that works well with current hardware.

Oh, and does that mean ATI will make use of all it's SP cores? ;-)

Hmmm, OpenMM looks to be promising:

OpenMMPreview4-Mac.zip (4973 kB) binary Mac Aug 20, 2009
Description: Precompiled OpenMM libraries for Mac OS X. Supported on NVIDIA GPUs with CUDA Toolkit 2.2.

OpenMMPreview4-Linux32.zip (5034 kB) binary Linux Aug 20, 2009
Description: Precompiled OpenMM libraries for 32 bit Linux. Supported on NVIDIA GPUs with CUDA Toolkit 2.2.

OpenMMPreview4-Linux64.zip (6787 kB) binary Linux Aug 20, 2009
Description: Precompiled OpenMM libraries for 64 bit Linux. Supported on NVIDIA GPUs with CUDA Toolkit 2.2.

I do not like going from multi-process to multi-threaded. I always liked the idea of multi-process, although it is slightly more overhead, I don't think it's that much. With each "thread" having it's own process it means that there is an individual PID, memory map. We don't have to worry about IPC, RPC or piping.

In the end this just makes my dream of a kerrighed cluster go from lack of a farm, to impossible without thread suppose in kerrighed, which 99.9% won't happen (too much work for little benefit/no one needs it)

The easy of install will just be for windows clients, where you no longer have to install mpich or deino. For linux the framework is built in, and just the mpiexec is needed.

Hmmm, OpenMM looks to be promising:

OpenMMPreview4-Mac.zip (4973 kB) binary Mac Aug 20, 2009
Description: Precompiled OpenMM libraries for Mac OS X. Supported on NVIDIA GPUs with CUDA Toolkit 2.2.

OpenMMPreview4-Linux32.zip (5034 kB) binary Linux Aug 20, 2009
Description: Precompiled OpenMM libraries for 32 bit Linux. Supported on NVIDIA GPUs with CUDA Toolkit 2.2.

OpenMMPreview4-Linux64.zip (6787 kB) binary Linux Aug 20, 2009
Description: Precompiled OpenMM libraries for 64 bit Linux. Supported on NVIDIA GPUs with CUDA Toolkit 2.2.

So does this mean we will have a native Linux and Mac GPU client? Maybe this is why they never had them for GPU2, partly because of the Wine wrapper and maybe because they dove in to this right after getting GPU2 stable. Why spend the time to get this running on another platform when they are just going to improve the core (all cores) and have what looks like built in portability.

Back