• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Best waterblock for P55 board?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

krag

Classifieds Moderator
I need some advice my brothers. I am planning on upgrading my current rig to a ASUS Maximus III Formula LGA 1156 Intel P55 board. I am using a Swiftech GTX on my rig in my sig. I was on Sidewinder Computers and noticed that the Swiftwech block is only $49 and appears to be at the bottom of the proverbial barrel. Swiftech used to be the bomb.

I have a 400w exterior ViperJohn custom water cooling unit that sits ontop of my case. So right now I just need a block.

Your suggestions?

Swiftech's GTZ is actually a very good block, just don't lap your CPU. :)

The best of the best right now is the HeatKiller 3.0. Take your pick on whether you like the bling of copper / nickel or you can live with the equally well performing LT model. Stay away from the LC model (sidewinder doesn't even sell them); it has different internals and isn't as good. Don't forget the backplate as well.

The GTZ is a great block, krag and that is a bargain. You will have to buy an LGA1156 mount for it though, unless the board also has 1366 mounting holes. I'm pretty sure that the 1156 mounts will be released very soon from everyone, including Swiftech.

I have no experience with them, but I've seen people bragging on the Heatkiller Rev 3 here (the all copper one that's almost $90). But that is a bit rich for my blood to get just a little better performance over the GTZ.

Thanks for the input fellas! Hmmm, I might just go with the Heatkiller. It is expensive but I like it!! heheh

Who makes "heatkiller" anyways?

Kraig, curious about your 400W cooler. Phase change this time or peltiers? :D

Thanks for the input fellas! Hmmm, I might just go with the Heatkiller. It is expensive but I like it!! heheh

Who makes "heatkiller" anyways?

i believe watercool makes them, though i can't find there site.

Kraig, curious about your 400W cooler. Phase change this time or peltiers? :D

Pfft, I tried it, burnt too much hardware, spent too much $$ and decided that H2O cooling is the best bang for the buck! Taaa-Daaah!:beer:

@ Zagi, interesting. I like German engineering. They make good stuff. BMW's, Glock (Austrian but the same), Mercedes ...LOL. Anyways, I should look a bit more into it. Thanks for the info bro.

Ah, so just a regular WC setup? The W rating made me think it was a chiller.

The price on that GTZ is very good. If you want bang for your buck, I'd go with that.

If you want something that performs slightly better, go with the HK LT. In my opinion the difference in performance between the LT and the 3.0 isn't worth the cost.

Back