• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

long term memory usage strategy

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

monohouse

Registered
I have a Corsair XMS2 CM2X1024-6400C4 DDR2 DRAM working in Dual-Channel mode (2x1 GB) and an un-changeable Command Rate = 2 due to gigabyte BIOS limitation, here's the memory's SPD info:

Code:
JEDEC #1:	270 Mhz @ 4-4-4-13-15-2T @ 1.8V
JEDEC #2:	400 Mhz @ 5-5-5-18-22-2T @ 1.8V
EPP #1:	400 Mhz @ 4-4-4-12-22-2T @ 2.1V

I am running the memory at 480 mhz.
I would like to know how best to use it (at that frequency), from what I have tested so far, the difference between 5-5-5-12 and 4-4-4-12 is (in single-threaded tests) 100-250 MB/s read bandwidth, 50-100 MB/s write, ~230 MB/s copy, improvement of ~4 ns in memory latency, and absolute value in clocks latency at 32 MB using a 512 KB stride improves by 4-5 clocks.

I have added active cooling on the ram manually myself using arctic cooling turbo, which cools the NB along with the ram, the cpu is water cooled, and I would like some advice: in which mode should I use the ram ?
1.9V, 480 mhz, 5-5-5-12/18 or 2.1V, 480 mhz, 4-4-4-12 ?

both modes pass memtest, prime95 large and rightmark memory stability test, I know that this 4-4-4-12 mode is only for EPP, but I do not have a nvidia video card, nor do I know how to verify if/when that memory mode takes effect if at all does, I do think that this mode is supposed to be only used temporarily and I suspect for a reason which would suggest that this may wear it (the voltage) if used continuously, and probably not at 480 mhz either.

the other problem is that it does not improve memory write bandwidth, it seems that depends only/mostly on FSB/MCH frequency, which I am afraid I am no longer able to increase with regard to cpu frequency being most important

Last edited:
I tried, I lowered it once there was no difference, but when lowered it twice the system froze immediatly, I don't think that for me there is much difference with that setting, maybe because P35.

my FSB problem is not with the FSB, it's the cpu, I can raise FSB as high as 510, but running the cpu at 7X will not be optimal, most important performance factor is always the cpu, so extra 30 mhz FSB isn't worth the lower 500 mhz cpu :(
the cpu is already at 1.55V

Back