• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Big Loop one pump?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
The worst case scenario is that you get poor flow which results in less than optimal performance.

To see how bad, check Vapor's CPU block reviews at skineelabs.com:
GTZQ.png

Rads are less affected by flow, so its really the blocks. Using Martin's flow rate estimator, or the Water Cooling Estimator spreadsheet (http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=206542) you can get some idea of what your flow will be like with all that stuff.

Bottom line... it will "work" but may not have good temps. I think you would be better off with a MCP-355, as it has higher head pressure. Alternatively, you could look at the Typhoon III bay res, which allows you to run parallel loops from a single pump, which could see a large improvement given the complexity of your loop(s).

What parts? You might have flow issues, you might have heat issues, you haven't told us much at all. Why don't you make a sig for your planned rig.

Your first post tells us pretty much nothing.

Generally, you can remove the SB, MOSFET's, and probably the NB and save alot of money, time, and increase your flow
Yep. Even if you're going for silence, aircooling makes sense for these components. If you choose a decent pump and low-restrictions blocks, your flow rate won't suffer that much, but you may suffer while trying to stuff all that tubing onto your motherboard.

Q9550 @ 4ghz
Asus P5Q "Green"
8GB OCZ Reaper
eVga 9800 GTX+
X-fi Xtremegamer 7.1
Logitech z-5500
Antec 1200

Thats what I have and will be Watercooling. I can skip he mosfets if its not needed, but I did buy all the other blocks already. my goal is to squeeze another 400-500mhz I bought the SB block because after researching I didnt get a straight answer whether its needed or not, I remember one person on another forum said he has seen fried SB's. so I decided to just get it.

As far as Mosfets, I currently have copper sinks on them. I dont know how hot they get when trying to push over 1.45 volts.

A laser-sighted, non-contact thermometer is a good tool for identifying hotspots. You definitely want some cooling on your chipsets, and if you're going to OC, you probably want more than the stock cooling. However, watercooling is usually overkill. For the mosfets, the copper sinks will probably be enough if you've got decent airflow over them.

Unless they've got bleed valves, double pass radiators in the position your drawing implies will necessitate rotating the case to get the air out. Also, it looks like the exhaust from the first rad might be feeding the second one. If that's really how you were planning on mounting them, you might as well just use one radiator.

A laser-sighted, non-contact thermometer is a good tool for identifying hotspots. You definitely want some cooling on your chipsets, and if you're going to OC, you probably want more than the stock cooling. However, watercooling is usually overkill. For the mosfets, the copper sinks will probably be enough if you've got decent airflow over them.

Unless they've got bleed valves, double pass radiators in the position your drawing implies will necessitate rotating the case to get the air out. Also, it looks like the exhaust from the first rad might be feeding the second one. If that's really how you were planning on mounting them, you might as well just use one radiator.

i've had my rad like that (triple) and never flipped it. the air will get passed through the rad eventually. and that was bleeding with a T line.

but i do agree it's much easier the other way.

I may have overstated that. It's not always necessary to rotate the case. But I have seen people on the forums over the years who couldn't even reach aircooling temps until they flipped the machine over. :bang head

imho that's to much blocks on one loop, get another pump and add a second loop.

since you already have 2 radiators, get another pump, and another resevoir, and you can run 2 totaly independant loops, which would give you much better cooling, compared to all of that in 1 single loop.

imho that's to much blocks on one loop, get another pump and add a second loop.

since you already have 2 radiators, get another pump, and another resevoir, and you can run 2 totaly independant loops, which would give you much better cooling, compared to all of that in 1 single loop.

what if I just removed the two mosfet blocks and had only the other 4?

you can still go with 1 loop and have decent temps so long as you have properly sized rads.

hopefully those are triple rads, and at that you should either get 9 high speed fans going or not stack them.

you can still go with 1 loop and have decent temps so long as you have properly sized rads.

hopefully those are triple rads, and at that you should either get 9 high speed fans going or not stack them.

The two rads are Swiftech MCR220-QP

and I have four of these http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835185054

Currently on air I run one of those fans with a xigmatek s1283 and ocz freeze paste and I am at 4ghz 24/7 intel burn test stable. so I know Two rads with 4 of those fans should be sufficient.

The blocks are all Enzotech Sapphire series.

I wouldnt really cool the mosfets with water, passive with (some) airflow should be more then enough. (looking at my own mainboards, one has no mosfet sinks, one has tiny mosfet sinks that barely get warm)

my northbridge however, consumes >30w (X48) and gets really hot, a cold NB is good for better oc's, so thats why I want it watercooled. only problem here, is I have to find a new block for the vrm's and sb, or destroy the heatpipe cooler the mainboard has.. (vrm's are included in the heatpipe, just to give the NB more cooling fins, the vrm area is split in two, and the other group of mosfets has a tiny sink, barely bigger then a ramsink, and doesnt get all that warm either. (like.. 35 celcius with a q6600 at stock)

sb doesnt really get that hot either, can run passive too (well, depending on what SB, ich9r is fine passive with a small heatsink, as it is on my p35-ds3r)

with mosfets removed you got RES>PUMP>RAD 1>RAD2>CPU>NB>GPU>SB>RES

i would do RES>PUMP>RAD 1>CPU>NB>RAD 2>GPU>SB>RES

why? because let's say at load your core temps are ~60, so you got that and your gpu getting the warm liquid from you cpu, which would not cool it as properly because of liquid temps, so if you take your second rad, and put it after your cpu+nb your would get cooler liquid going to your gpu giving you better temps.

but with that setup, you will have more tubing involved, so maybe less flow, that's the reason why i was saying 2 loops to start with. you could acheive better temps i beleive.

i would do RES>PUMP>RAD1>CPU>RES and RES>PUMP>RAD2>GPU>NB>RES

that barely matters. if your flowrate is high enough, the input and output temps of the water in the radiators is only 2-5 degrees C, or 1-2 degrees C per block. if your OC requires you to lower your temperature by exactly one degree, I wouldn't classify it as stable, because the room temperature varies more by day/night then that ..

a better question for loop order would be, the bend radius of the tubing. your loop proposal has a LOT of short 180 'hops', form my experience, this doesn't work well (unless you have quality hose *and* anti kink springs), and since order of items in a waterloop makes no real difference (unless your pump is way weak) you're better off figuring out how to do the loop with 90 and 180 degree bends with a bigger radius. and yes, this will take up some more hose, but it will make installing a lot easier, and decrease the risk of kinking hoses.

I have decided to remove one dual rad and replace it with a quadruple. I do have one overclocking question though. when do you need to up the voltage on a SB? it only controls I/O doesn't it? that shouldn't affect your overall clock and system stability right?

Back