• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

128GB SSD vs 300GB velociraptor??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Goucho

Registered
OK guys GB not an issue as i have plenty of other storage.

I will be using an I5 or Pii 955.

Anyways which HDD would be better for ...............

unraring files from 500mb - 7GB
basic video editing
Converting 500mb movie files
Running up to date games

So for close to the same price the SSD has 200mb/s read and write.

Will the SSD make a noticeable speed difference?
Which should i go for to make things boot, run and work faster?
Dont bother about memory size as im not bothered i just want to know which way to go for my working OS and work related drive.

Thanx :)

You just mentioning plenty of other space.... Drop that Raptor from an option. Grab 2x 60/80Gig drives put in Raid 0 and you'll get your 128Gig+, Excellent read speeds, Great Write speeds + out of this world seek times.

Case closed ;)

I had the same dilemma a short awhile go between a 128 ssd or 150 raptor. The reasons that finalized my decision are.

1) Raptor is noisy and about $1.2/gb and ocz vertex is $2.8/gb. Roughly that is about 2 times the cost to gb. But in terms of performance an SSd is about 6 times better than that raptor. Because of this the cost is easily justified.

2) Veliociraptors are really not worth the price anymore with SSds coming down in price.

3) SSD are the future, I wanted something to last a long time, and I saw myself getting rid of that raptor in about 1 year.

Conclusion: I took thet hit and payed about 380 after tax for the OCZ vertex 120 gb. Very happy with my purchase, no regrets whatsoever, I probably would have regretted the raptor.

Go for the SSD, get three of the Intel X25M Drives like I did, freaking amazing speed.

crystal.png

Much faster than one 120 gig drive and only about 50% more cost.

Thats 3 drives? And 50% more cost where u buying from? ~350-400 for the Vertex vs $720+ for the Intels. And actually I'd of expected higher 4k reads and writes then that since a single drive does better.

My single drive is 26/66, but its a G2. maybe the G1's arent as good in 4k? And yes, Id expect alot more in the 4k..

Personally, if you can get by with 120gb for games/OS, Id definately get 2xVertex 60gb and raid them, then get a storage drive. Im looking into selling my X25 G2 80gb for that setup. I had a 120gb Vertex and I honestly prefer it for day to day usage. The only thing the Intel does better is load games SLIGHTLY quicker.

Check your part number and price again dude. you might be looking at the extreme slc series. you can get the X-25m Intel drives for around 250 bucks.

Newegg has them in stock for 270 but you can find deals for better.

3 intel Drives = $720 at $240 per drive.

At that those are G1 drives not G2.

Back