• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

multi monitor questions?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Dusnoetos

I have 2 interrelated questions:

For nearly all of my every day uses I run 2 monitors as one extended desktop. (I use UltraMon to help keep my Icons in check)
But I switch to just one monitor for gaming (to avoid the performance hit)
Is there any possibility that I am hurting or stressing my hardware by switching back and forth? {main system in sig}

If I were to use a PCI based Video card to run my second monitor; would that add or reduce over all stress on the CPU (and other components)?
--like if I were to game and use the 2nd monitor to run diagnostic software - to keep track of temps and what not.
Or would doing this be a driver nightmare?

1. I doubt it...

2. I doubt it would reduce stress on the cpu and it wont be a driver nightmare... thats what people do when gaming, sometimes they use a second monitor to display cpu temps or whatever

The rig in your sig is more than capable of running 2 monitors... thats why your 4850 has duel DVI... :D

If you mean extended as the second monitor is a secondary monitor (not spanning monitors), then there is no performance hit to running two monitors off one card, just leave it like normal. Answering that removes your second question. You are basically making it more complicated than it needs to be.

Last edited:
If you mean extended as the second monitor is a secondary monitor (not spanning monitors), then there is no performance hit to running two monitors off one card, just leave it like normal. Answering that removes your second question. You are basically making it more complicated than it needs to be.

The thing is, I have noticed a performance hit in games if I try to use 2 monitors off of one card (even on my 4850)

The thing is, I have noticed a performance hit in games if I try to use 2 monitors off of one card (even on my 4850)
You still haven't specified how you have it setup. Do you span the monitors (treats both monitors as one, start bar scrolls across) or do you just used it as an "extended" monitor? If it is the latter, there should be no performance hit at all. I run all my games with two monitors, without issues.

I have been running dual 3D desktops since the x1950 at least. Never noticed any performance issues watching a video on one monitor and full screen gamong on the primary.

While there may be a benchable difference in performance. I highly doubt it would be noticeable (unless perhaps were already fudging the line just running a single monitor in the game)

You still haven't specified how you have it setup. Do you span the monitors (treats both monitors as one, start bar scrolls across) or do you just used it as an "extended" monitor? If it is the latter, there should be no performance hit at all. I run all my games with two monitors, without issues.

I guess this is where my ignorance shines.... I am not exactly sure how to answer your question.

I have just been using this to switch my monitors:
dual.jpg

Is there a better or smarter way for me to configure my monitors.

And just for clarification - the games that give me the most issues when having both monitors on are: The Witcher, BioShock, Crysis (this game gives me trouble all across the board- regardless of my settings: never expected it to run at max, but I expected better than I get). Even Serous Sam 2 does not like dual monitors.

I can run Fear in dual screen at high settings - but it is noticeably smother with only one screen.

Could this be a CPU bottle neck issue?

That doesn't really show me what I'm looking for.

Does your start bar span across both monitors?
Do full screen apps span across both monitors?

If the answer is NO (my guess), then you should see no performance hit at all.

That doesn't really show me what I'm looking for.

Does your start bar span across both monitors? No, each monitor has its own task-bar - but the start bar is only on main monitor.
Do full screen apps span across both monitors? NO

If the answer is NO (my guess), then you should see no performance hit at all.

???
Well I am all confused...
If I run a game with both monitors enabled my frame rates drop like a rock. (stutter stutter)

Could it be due to the UltraMon program... that puts the task-bar on 2nd monitor??

That does not break it, there is a setting that is off. Unfortunately, I have no experience with the newer ATI cards. I can't say for sure though, it shouldn't be running that slow though.

You could try removing it, I guess.

If I run a game with both monitors enabled my frame rates drop like a rock

I've run dual screens for years with only one time ever noticing an issue in performance and that was with Quake 4. The performance was noticeably slower with both screens on. I did notice recently issues with the new monkey island remake and dual screens being enabled, but it was more flickering and stability than performance (obviously a game like that won't suffer from fps issues.) It was Win7 and the game had just come out, so I attributed it to a software issue.

Have you tried disabling your ultramon shortcut for the games and just playing them like normal? I know having ultramon disable or enable a second screen will cause some work to happen on startup and shutdown of the game. Maybe something is not behaving correctly?

You DO have latest video card drivers, correct?

Back