• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SSD upgrade Q? please....

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

2xNEHALEMx2

im thinking about gettin an OCZ agility 60 GB drive, but im concerned about the write cycles. SSDs can only do 10000 full write cycles so how long will that last?

what exacly is a write cycle? its the only thing i havent bothered to look up.

Im not sure I would get the agility either. Does that have the Indelix (or something like that) controller on it or at least the Samsung one?

I remember earlier SSD's had that limit, but the new ones are like 1.5 million MTBF.

i would go with the vertex, it has good controller and a deecent wear leveling algorithm, and will not fail for a longg time,
i would keeep a spare sata drive in your pc to backup the ssd every month/week

i would go with the vertex, it has good controller and a deecent wear leveling algorithm, and will not fail for a longg time,
i would keeep a spare sata drive in your pc to backup the ssd every month/week
After further research, it looks like that drive, although classified as a mainstram drive, its below a vertex and seems to be on par with a summit (both performance drives). It has the Indilinx controller and a good amount of cache so all is well there.

Seems to be a very good bang for the buck SSD!

http://www.guru3d.com/article/ocz-agility-ssd-120gb-review/2

MLC's have 10k+ Write Cycles
SLC's have 100,000k+ Write Cycles

A write cycle consists of...
512kb block of data on the drive. If you write 4k or 512kb that is a block (you can continue to write to the block til its filled up).
From there if you delete an item in said block, the block at an appropriate time will cache the whats in the block, delete the file and re-write the block to free up the space.

So as for how long the drive lasts? Depends on how full it is. How much things change on the drive, etc. The drive should write to every aviable block at least 1 time before it makes a second pass on the drive writing data. That continues on and on.

I did some calcs in another thread, about basically saying a 60Gig drive with 30Gig free space thats written and deleted constantly would take 8+ years if not mistaken to wear out that 30Gig cluster. Thats if you where writing 10Gigs to the drive per day. Realistically it would be more in the realm of 2.5 daily for normal use (surfing, playing games and little things), 5-10Gigs would be on days of installation of games (rarer but still out there).

deathman20 you certinly have a dam good grip on them

I've done my research the past few months to know a lot. Can't wait for my drives which might be here tomorrow :)

With such a new tech I'd rather know what im facing then not knowing and regreating it later.

Think I posted it on XS now what I was talking about earlier with dates. Unless you write to it constantly, would take roughly 10 days to use the whole 60Gig drive. Thats 60TB worth of data at ~256Gigs per hour (4.2Gigs per min) of data to kill the drive. Just to put it in perspective. Think conservatively it was roughly 13-27 years before it would be out of write cycles. And at that point the drive will be obsolete anyways so whats the difference?

Thats exaly what I have been trying to get across to members at the OCZ forum , I think some just can't do math lol

Why worry? If it last 2 years (which it will) you'll want to upgrade to a better newer generation, that will probably be remarkably cheaper by then, judging from the radically falling prices. Yes, they're expensive, but at least now they are affordable.

Back