• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Overclocking Noob

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

htdog

Registered
I just bought a brand new rig and I am looking to overclock it. Its hardware is ready for it, I am just new at the overclocking process. I would like to learn as much as possible so that I can run my computer overclocked 24/7.

Here is the hardware:

i7 920 @ stock 2.67ghz
Noctua NH-U12
ASUS P6T Deluxe v2
OCZ Plantnium 2x3gb (6gb) DDR3
GeForce GTX 285
Corsair 750 PS
COOLER MASTER RC-690-KKN1-GP - it has 3 fans

I figure that with the Noctua cpu cooler I should be able to easily OC the CPU to 3.67ghz and run that 24/7.

One question I do have is what should my CPU fan speed be set to and my CPU temperature is currently 36C/96.5F, CPU fan speed at 1360rpm. Is that hot for a CPU with an after market cooler on it? What should my CPU temperature be to safely overclock it?

1. You should be able to get to your goal of 3.6-3.7Ghz 24/7 with that cooler.
2. Nope, thats not hot at all, BUT idle temps dont matter really at all. What are your load temps (Run Prime95 Torture test, Small FFT for 15 mins and report back).
3. You want to keep that CPU under 80C when stress testing. That way in your normal usage, you wont see but 70C at most which is perfectly acceptable for 24.7 operation.

Do you have a C0 or D0 stepping 920? And assuming your OCZ Platinum is 3 x 2GB of DDR3-1600, give these settings a try for 3.8GHz (200 x 19)...

Code:
CPU Voltage: 1.25V 
CPU PLL Voltage: 1.9V
DRAM Freq: 1603 Mhz
UCLK Freq: 3209 Mhz
QPI Link Rate: 7218 Mhz
QPI/DRAM Core Voltage: 1.35V
IOH Voltage: 1.20V
IOH PCIE Voltage: Auto
ICH Voltage: 1.20V
ICH PCIE Voltage: Auto
DRAM Bus Voltage: 1.66V

Load Line Calibration:Enabled
CPU Differential Amplitude: 0.800mV
CPU Clock Skew: Delay 100ps
CPU Spread Spectrum: Disable
IOH Clock Skew : Delay 100ps
PCIE Spread Spectrum: Disable

Advance CPU Settings
CPU Ratio Setting: 19
C1E Suppport: Disable
Hardware Prefetcher: Enable
Adjacent Cache Line Prefetch: Enable
Intel® Virtualization Tech: Disable
CPU TM Function: Disable
Execute Disable Bit: Enable
Intel (R) HT Techology: Enable
Active Processor Cores: All
A20M:
Intel (R) SpeedStep (TM) Tech: Disable
Intel (R) Turbo Mode Tech: Disable
Intel (R) C-STATE Tech: Disable

^
To find out what stepping you have download CPU-Z from CPUID (just google it. it's free. Their HWMonitor is also free and a good utility to have)

CPU-Z will tell you all relevant CPU related info. Make sure to get the latest version.

18_m.jpg
make suree you populate those fan holes with the fastest, highest CFM, loudest fans you can put up with. Also make sure your wiring in your case is as neat as possible to aid air flow.

Okay I ran Prime95 and I did it for 22 minutes, I had 0 errors, and 0 warnings. I don't know how to check my cpu temp while its running. It was running on all 8 cores.

Do these tests compare to 3d rendering? I want to OC my cpu so that in the future, I can do some hefty 3d rendering using Maya for long periods of time if I want to.

Is this w/ the settings I posted for 3.8GHz? You can check core temp's using either Core Temp or Real Temp (the two most popular choices). And post a direct link to your RAM, since in the template I posted I just assumed you had DDR3-1600MHz. And all you had to do was edit post #5 to add what you posted in posts #6 and 7, instead of creating two additional posts.

There is a setting under tools in the BIOS where you can save BIOS settings to the board itself, USB drive, CD, or hard drive. Yes there is a load defaults, but you really don't want to use that. It resets everything that you changed and not just clock settings and voltages. If you make other changes like turning off onboard sound, ide, floppy controller, etc, you don't want to keep redoing those. I would setup your system the way you like at stock speeds and volts and save a profile called stock. That way if things go FUBAR, you can just reload from that profile. Also, if things go that bad and the system won't boot, the board will load defaults by itself if you do a hard reset the next time it starts.

Okay, I want to make sure that this is alright before I start entering the BIOS settings listed above.

My DRAM Frequency values are 1600mhz not 1603. My UCLK Freq is 3200 not 3209 and my QPI Link Rate will only go up to 6400mtsi not 7218mhz. Should I just set it to these setting and see what happens?

Okay I set the settings and left the QPI link rate at AUTO.

Everything seems stable so far, but how do you know if your CPU is running at 3.8ghz?

my core temps using Core Temp 0.99.5 are:

Core 0: low45C high 49C
Core 1: 41C 45C
Core 2: 45C 48C
Core 3: 40C 43C

It says the frequency is at 2538.99mhz (133.63 X 19.0) -- what does this mean?

After running Prime95 for 15 minutes:

Alright so I worked on it some more.. that 2538.99mhz just didnt look right and I figure that is the processor speed. I found some settings online to crank it up to 4ghz. So I used them.

I am running the CPU at 4000.00 MHZ (200 x 20). Idle temps are looking good.. low to mid 40's C.

After running Prime95 for 15 minutes:
Temperatures immediately jumped to 81C. So I am going to lower the settings.

Last edited:
CPU at 3.7ghz, I ran prime95 for one hour. I also turned my fans to turbo in the BIOS but I do not hear any reving or increase in Fan noise. Are the fans working harder? What do you think of them temperatures? Too high? There were no errors through its 29 tests. Thank you for all your help!!

One hour of Prime doesn't mean anything. That's not long enough. Those temps are high for 3.7 @ 1.24. Run Linx and you will see your temps in the mid 80's I'm sure. You need to run Linx at least 10 full passes with all RAM utilized for a better sense of stability. I do 50 Linx and 8 hours of Prime. 1.24 should get you 4.0 GHz or dang close to it.

What settings should I change in my BIOS to bring down the heat? Should I reduce my CPU speed? I just want to OC to a safe level for 24/7 use.

My BIOS settings, what should I change?

AI Tweaker:

Ai Overclock: Manual
Intel Speed Step: Disabled
Intel Turbo: Disabled
CPU Ratio: Auto
BCLK Frequency: 186
PCIE Freq: DDR3-1491mhz
QPI Link Data: auto

Volts:

CPU volt: 1.25v
CPU Pll: 1.90
QPI/Dram Core: 1.35
DRAM Bus Volts: 1.64
CPU Differential : 800mV

Everything else AUTO

Last edited:
Stick at it dude.
Those temps are FRIGHTENINGLY high...

Can you please post a few photos of how you have your rig set up. Are you a hundred percent sure you have your cooler installed properly?

45nm @ 75celsius is frightening.

Stick with it man.

BTW its four core not eight. Each core can hyperthread and in essence become two virtual cores but it's 4 core.

Yes, I am a hundred percent sure I have the cooler set up properly. Think it may be the thermal paste? I just used a dab, the recommended amount, in the center and placed the cooler on it, Ill see if I can post some pics to show in the afternoon.

One hour of Prime doesn't mean anything. That's not long enough. Those temps are high for 3.7 @ 1.24. Run Linx and you will see your temps in the mid 80's I'm sure. You need to run Linx at least 10 full passes with all RAM utilized for a better sense of stability. I do 50 Linx and 8 hours of Prime. 1.24 should get you 4.0 GHz or dang close to it.

Why should I stick at 1.24 when my temps are high? Is there another way I can decrease my temperature at this setting?

Haha. I am starting to get confused. My temperatures are frighteningly high. How can I get stable temps that allows for a stable overclock that does not seem potentially harmful towards the future of my computer?

Last edited:
because the more volts the more heat, the more fsb the more higher the heat is..... u can try jacking the fan but u kinda dont want loud fans for 24/7 and try higher cpu speeds w/ 1.24 untill the temps are high enuff / or lower the volts for if u want less heat for 3.7 also 24 hr prime stable w/ temp monitering running (hw moniter and real temp)

I tried changing the fans, but I am not sure if I did it right. Certainly doesnt sound like theres a difference. I dropped the volts to 1.24 and I am still jumping up to 70C+ using Prime95. Should I just keep lowering the volts until I hit a sweet spot?

I would try reseating if i were you... i used to use that cooler and i was at 4GHz... load temps hit high 70's using Prime... thats why i never went higher than 4GHz... HT was on btw

So am I okay with the settings I was at? Or should I be aiming for temps around the mid 60C? I just changed the settings to be 3.3ghz and I am still jumping into high 60C and low 70C. I will see what I can do, I don't have the thermal paste anymore so I will have to go out and buy some. Recommend a specific brand? I am starting to think that i did not apply enough thermal paste.

BIOS:

BCLK: 168mhz
CPU Ratio: Auto
ddr3 1347
cpu v 1.20625
QPI v 1.21250
Dram bus v 1.6
cpu spread spec: disabled

lamek.jpg

Last edited:
Back