• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New webpage -- things I'd Like from AltOS

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Stratus_ss

Overclockix Snake Charming Senior, Alt OS Content
As many of you may know with IMOG's incessant posting in the last few days:screwy::beer: ocforums is gearing up for our merger. While all of this is changing, I thought I would start a thread to see what you, the AltOS crowd would like to see done with your section. I will be the point man for this, you can open up a dialogue with IMOG as well if you like but primarily things should pass by my "Desk" first.

That in mind, I am here to facilitate your wants/needs/desires. It is you who make this subforum so successful.

So what do you envision for yourselves?

Personally, I am going to steer towards reviews and tutorials. I would like to make it so that whenever someone Googles an Alt-OS related querry, they are directed here. Of course I realize this is pie-in-the-sky sort of thing but I have noticed that some of the stuff we cover here is actually among the top google hits so I dont see why we can't increase our presence. This is our chance to give back to the community that has provided us with so many free and wonderful tools.

You don't have to be a programmer, in fact you don't have to be a stellar writer. Thats what I am here for. There are other senior members who also will be helping me out (mbentley, EnablingWolf, and MRD on occassion). If you have some specialty and want to share let me hear from you! (pharoer I'm looking at you mate :beer: just kidding)

Finally, I guess a little blurb about myself so that you recognize I am not a complete moron (although I may sound like it at times)

Education
BA History
BA Political Science
Networking Diploma
Masters in Political Communication (after oct 5)

i think it would be nice to see a monthly/bi-monthly alt os review of new operating systems. this would include screen shots, feature sets, pros/cons, etc. we used to have a features os of the month if i remember correctly so something similar to that would be nice to see again on the front page.

goina bump this up because obviously we haven't heard from a lot of people. We have some things in the works for October, but we can always use more ideas for what people would like to see

I'd like to see tutorials which are kept up to date. Far too often I google around for instructions on how to do something, just to find out the guide i'm following is from 2005 and nothing in it is applicable anymore.

Can you give me some specific examples? I can put those into the works

How about scripting contests. Fewest lines, most elegant, most unique, longest one-linner.

i'd be glad to help out too but i'm not sure exactly how much time i will have to write articles.

1. The Stickies need to be updated and consolidated. There's a lot of good information there, mostly for the newcomer, but I think that information goes unread, due to the formidable bulk, not to mention the Stickies alone take up 1/3 to 1/4 of a monitor screen.

2. Perhaps include sub-section(s) to the AltOS forum where those with professional skills/knowledge level can post some 'how-to's", but exclude questions being posted(locked); only Content Editors having posting rights in such section. Continuing with this thought- perhaps a Programmers/Coders sub-section where material can be shared. Again, posting limited to preauthorized members.

I don't know how feasible creating sub-sections would be with vBulletin, but these features would lend better organization(IMO) to the "AltOS" section.

the stickies definitely could use some updating. each one of those is a good idea to start with if you want to write an article for the front page.

there was a live distro maintained by some people here in the forum, search for overclockix

Would be great to see.

Me and my hoarding data./// I am currently uploading an old copy of Overclockix.

With the advances in Live-disc stuff. Maybe we can redo what Arkaine did so well when he was active with the distro.

As for the topic at hand... And I am sometime full of ideas. :screwy:

I would like to see:

Main altOS section with the sub topics of...
Stickies that call on commands/concepts that never change or evolve.
.| Reference information (like stickies) New topics will rise like cream, older will settle to the bottom unless called on..
.. | application help
... | BSD/Mac {Keep in mind. Some of the best installable firewalls things are based off BSD :D}
.... | custom spins/ scripting
..... | newbie questions (of some sort of wording that new users can post up queries) Having some sort of hatchery would be nice. Plus those who are less attuned to using an altOS could pitch in here very easy. Distro and platform independent. Just a spot for newbz to fire off general questions and not be shy. We all start someplace.

Last edited:
I'd like to see tutorials which are kept up to date. Far too often I google around for instructions on how to do something, just to find out the guide i'm following is from 2005 and nothing in it is applicable anymore.

+1!

Up-To-Date tutorials can be done, we just need people to contribute them and take ownership of them.

If your interested in doing that for an article or two, contact Stratus and we can get that effort underway.

That is the hard part. IS the up to date thing. Getting some member to actually step up can be hard. Ever since I dealt with a review site or two. I found it is hard to get folks to stand up and update/fork information and make it current. Ideas are nice and all, but getting folks to help do it/ make it happen is super tough.

:D

Right, that's the reason why it often doesn't happen. Keeping articles up to date takes commitment and follow thru from interested parties.

We need people to make commitments and to show reliability in order to accomplish this suggestion. So who's interested in getting things started on the up-to-date tutorials front?

Back