• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Shameless solicitation for gpu guru $.02 :D

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

aphellyon

Got my EVGA classy in, my i7 920 ordered, 1.2K PSU, HDs and ram on the way... but I'm not sure about the gpu. Since I need to pull the trigger on my gpus in the next week, waiting around for the 3xx series isn't an option. :( So I was thinking of either going with 2x 275s and then upgrading to 3xx whatever next year or going with 2x 295s and keeping them for a while. What's the current performance difference between these two set ups. I've found a few benchies, but they all date back Jan, when quad sli was a joke. Ummm... still might be, for all I know. Anyways, any help/linkys/opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Relevant info:

Hope to oc the 920 to 4.x
GPUs will be wc'd (full blocks)
Currently game at 19x... but will likely go up to 25x post xmas
will be folding...

If you are dead set on a GTX380 w/e, then one GTX275 will do. And I wouldn't waste a water block if you upgrade it in 2 months and cannot re-use it...

Got my EVGA classy in, my i7 920 ordered, 1.2K PSU, HDs and ram on the way... but I'm not sure about the gpu. Since I need to pull the trigger on my gpus in the next week, waiting around for the 3xx series isn't an option. :( So I was thinking of either going with 2x 275s and then upgrading to 3xx whatever next year or going with 2x 295s and keeping them for a while. What's the current performance difference between these two set ups. I've found a few benchies, but they all date back Jan, when quad sli was a joke. Ummm... still might be, for all I know. Anyways, any help/linkys/opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Relevant info:

Hope to oc the 920 to 4.x
GPUs will be wc'd (full blocks)
Currently game at 19x... but will likely go up to 25x post xmas
will be folding...

If they're just placeholder GPUs and you'll be going with 3-series, I'd just get GTX 260's instead of 275's. They aren't that far behind in performance and you save quite a bit of cash. Save it for the 30" LCD :p

Good points both, thanks. I'll definitely consider that if I go the "place holder" way.

What about the 295s? Quad-sli worth anything? I've read plenty about stuttering and cpu bottlenecking issues... and have seen the lackluster gaming benches. Has anything changed since Jan/Feb?

If I had that kind of money I'd get a 5870 or even 2 of them as place holders. :)

GTX260/275/280/285 on the nVidia side...2 of em if you want. Check the classies for a good deal.

I wouldn't bother w/ Quad-SLI.

If I had that kind of money I'd get a 5870 or even 2 of them as place holders. :)

GTX260/275/280/285 on the nVidia side...2 of em if you want. Check the classies for a good deal.

I wouldn't bother w/ Quad-SLI.

Heh, two 5870s as place holders... :clap: Careful where you post that bro, some forums'd take your head off for that. :p

Yea, I decided against quad... couldn't find anything that great about it. Ended up going with a brace of 275s... got one cheap and the other with rebates. I prolly won't put them under water though. I'll wait for the 5xxx and 3xx series to settle out, then upgrade.

Get 2 GTX260 and no game will run under 40 fps, even crysis runs at 50 fps most of the time on my rig . . .

so just buy 2 used 260s which you can then re-sell for nearly the same.

btw never go quad sli, most ppl report high stuttering and it requires a lot of power (something like over 900W for sure)

it'll take some months anyway till we see the GT300, when it'll come out we will know how good it performs compared to ati.

if you buy the 5xxx series now as a placeholder you might resell them at a lot less in case nv will be better than ati.

if you buy the 5xxx series now as a placeholder you might resell them at a lot less in case nv will be better than ati.

tbh, it's not a question of IF NV will be better, its by how much, and what will the cost be? I like ATI, but even I will admit that NV has the better performing cards.

tbh, it's not a question of IF NV will be better, its by how much, and what will the cost be? I like ATI, but even I will admit that NV has the better performing cards.

5% more is a good reason for increasing price by 50% XD

^^

Those 4890s are only 200 bux in cnd money now!

For what its worth, its a pretty solid card for the price :thup:

I would have gotten a 260 or 275 to use while my 295 is being repaired (hopefully to a single pcb ;) ) But Im glad i bought it.. Of course when my 295 decides to work, I prefer that but.. Its a fun little card! Does over 1ghz too (not much tho :p )

Yea, I'm really looking forward to the ATI/nVid showdown with their next gen cards. I just hope nVid can reign in their pricing a little.

Back