• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Newbie PSU question - for i7

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

nekodrugi99

Registered
Is 400W enough since there will be only one HDD, no fancy cards, 30EUR Nvidia graphic... and 4 fans... and should be able to overclock it.

Is there a special connector on PSU for 1156 Boards or is it universal?

Last edited:
depends on the brand of the psu.. there are standards for cpu power connectors so that all psu/mobo's work with one another,so they are universal.

I actually have a kill-a-watt on my P55 rig right now. It's pulling ~340W overclocked to 3.8GHz w/ 1.317Vcore. GPU is 'idle' (desktop stuff only, nothing stressing it). I'd go for something a bit beefier than 400W. It does depend on the unit though. I'd have no qualms about putting that system on my spare Corsair VX450; but that is one very strong 450W PSU.

OK, good, I could afford a 450W one.
There is not Corsair VX450 in my shop... also I notice it is ATX 2.2 PS... do I need to look for 2.2 one or any will do?

Are Be Quiet Pure Power or Ultron good power supplies?

I'm going to go with no on both of those. Sorry. There are very, very few 450W PSUs on the market that do what they say good enough to do what you are needing. I'd order online if you're unable to get a good one from your shop.

OK, good that you have told me that... I'll go then with corsair..

Still if there is no that speciffic one ATX 2.2 or ATX 2.0 is also fine?

OK, good that you have told me that... I'll go then with corsair..

Still if there is no that speciffic one ATX 2.2 or ATX 2.0 is also fine?

well 2.3 would be the one to make sure it has, since that is the latest standard. 2.2 is more then fine for a i7 rig, i ran a i7 rig on a 520watt 2.0 atx psu with no problems for a few months.

Back