• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

CFM for vga cooler?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Danny54

Registered
Ok, so I received my HR 03 GT vga cooler today to go on 4870, and I received two of my four fans. Two of them are still on their way, and those will be 77.70cfm each. I was hoping they would also arrive today. So anyway, I have a 61cfm fan, and a 46 cfm fan in my possession. Should I wait till I get the 77.70 fans, or would there be much difference in cooling with the 46 or 61 cfm if I put one of those on? In other words, would the difference between say, 46cfm and 77.70 be maybe 1 or 2 degrees? All fans are 120mm. I want to install the cooler but not sure if I need to wait for the other fans.

Well since the fans are eaily installed/removed, go ahead and try the low CFM. Less CFM, less noise.

Here is my old 8800GT/HR03 with a 120mm fan on it. They didn't have 120mm clips back then, do they now?
8800gtwithfan.jpg

Remember that those CFM ratings are "free flowing CFM's"; meaning how much air it moves with no resistance. The HR-03 GT is a restrictive heatsink where free flowing CFM ratings are useless and pressure makes all the difference. That being said, I can't answer your question without more information. What is the exact make and model of the fans you have?

Regardless, if you are running the card at/near stock, it shouldn't matter what fan you put on it. Although, I'm sure that 120mm fans don't directly fit on the HR-03GT as it fits 92mm fans.

Thanks for the replies. Well the four fans are:

Xigmatek 61cfm 1500rpm
http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/Xigmatek-XLF-F1253-LED-FAN

Enermax UCEV12 Everest TWISTER
500 - 1000 rpm
26.51 - 46.10 CFM
http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/120m...ontrol-Blue-LED-(on-off)-inc-Rubber-A-V-Plugs

And two AC Ryan fans, UV/LED
Fan Speed: 2500 RPM
Noise Level: 28.9 dBA
air flow 77.70cfm

I ordered a pair of 120 ultra clips to fit any 120mm fan onto the HR 03 GT. I currently have the enermax and the xigmatek. Awaiting the AC Ryans.

Meh, none of those fans will have much pressure. Guess I'm spoiled with Panaflo/Delta.

Anyways, to answer your question, I would put the Xigmatek on it if I had absolutely no choice other than those 4.

Meh, none of those fans will have much pressure. Guess I'm spoiled with Panaflo/Delta.

Anyways, to answer your question, I would put the Xigmatek on it if I had absolutely no choice other than those 4.

Actually, I have a sharkoon silent eagle 2000 on my ultra 120 extreme and it dropped the temps by over 12c. cfm is 74, rpm is 2000, similar to the ac ryans. So I'm pretty confident I can at least match that sort of temp drop with some of these fans. Certainly should with ac ryans when they arrive.

Btw, stock cooler on 4870 giving me 48 idle, and 70c load. Hoping for about 35 to 40 idle and no more than 50'ish loads.

Actually, I have a sharkoon silent eagle 2000 on my ultra 120 extreme and it dropped the temps by over 12c. cfm is 74, rpm is 2000, similar to the ac ryans. So I'm pretty confident I can at least match that sort of temp drop with some of these fans. Certainly should with ac ryans when they arrive.
I'm sorry to break it to you, but there is no computer fan that can actually put out 74 cfm at 2000 RPM's, it just isn't possible. Basically, marketing got a hold of the numbers and made it seem like a really good fan. They do the same thing with noise (EX: 74cfm at 19db; just the air moving - not counting fan noise or blade noise - is louder than 19db).

Beware fan "specifications". There are not many fan manufacturers you can trust.

Either way, if the fan works for you, cool. Not going to argue if it works. Just want you to be aware of what is going on.

I'm sorry to break it to you, but there is no computer fan that can actually put out 74 cfm at 2000 RPM's, it just isn't possible. Basically, marketing got a hold of the numbers and made it seem like a really good fan. They do the same thing with noise (EX: 74cfm at 19db; just the air moving - not counting fan noise or blade noise - is louder than 19db).

Beware fan "specifications". There are not many fan manufacturers you can trust.

Either way, if the fan works for you, cool. Not going to argue if it works. Just want you to be aware of what is going on.

Fair enough. Well, yeah, I'll try them all and see which gives me best temps. Guess that's the best way. Out of interest, a 92mm fan would aesthetically probably look better than the 120mm. 120mm kinda dwarfs the HR 03 GT a bit, but do you think there would be much difference in cooling between 92mm and 120mm fans? I didn't buy a 92mm fan but I'm still considering one.

Fair enough. Well, yeah, I'll try them all and see which gives me best temps. Guess that's the best way. Out of interest, a 92mm fan would aesthetically probably look better than the 120mm. 120mm kinda dwarfs the HR 03 GT a bit, but do you think there would be much difference in cooling between 92mm and 120mm fans? I didn't buy a 92mm fan but I'm still considering one.
Assuming the fans are similar in performance (adjusting for the size difference), I don't think you will see a large decrease in temperatures with a 120mm fan.

If you were running much higher speed fans, I would argue that the 120mm version would be far superior due to the increased output compared to the 92mm version.

Example time! I have 3 of these Delta fans, they output 220 CFM (Delta does not lie about their numbers by the way) and have a ton of pressure. Here is the 92mm version, they output 142 CFM and also have decreased area. The 120mm wouldn't lower the core temperatures much, but you have more airflow over the card itself; everything on the card will be cooler (memory, etc). Also, your eardrums are non-existent from using the 92mm version, so you wouldn't mind the upgrade :D

Assuming the fans are similar in performance (adjusting for the size difference), I don't think you will see a large decrease in temperatures with a 120mm fan.

If you were running much higher speed fans, I would argue that the 120mm version would be far superior due to the increased output compared to the 92mm version.

Example time! I have 3 of these Delta fans, they output 220 CFM (Delta does not lie about their numbers by the way) and have a ton of pressure. Here is the 92mm version, they output 142 CFM and also have decreased area. The 120mm wouldn't lower the core temperatures much, but you have more airflow over the card itself; everything on the card will be cooler (memory, etc). Also, your eardrums are non-existent from using the 92mm version, so you wouldn't mind the upgrade :D

Oh yeah, I read about the 120mm deltas at over 4000rpm. Scary fans without fan guards, would need to buy replacement fingers just in case :D

Oh yeah, I read about the 120mm deltas at over 4000rpm. Scary fans without fan guards, would need to buy replacement fingers just in case :D
No doubt, even with a fan guard on it, I don't feel comfortable holding the fan when it is running. It is one heck of a scary fan.

I took some pics of my fans, well, the two I currently received out of four, and will be installing tomorrow along with my new HR 03 GT. Man, they look great but the enermax twister is superb looking and that's without it even being switched on and showing its blue led. I think it'll look nice on the vga cooler, especially as it doesn't have a horrible black plastic surround typical of most fans. And being a 120mm, the transparent/silver surround doesn't make it look as big and cumbersome. Here's some of my stuff boxed up, including aerocool fan controller.

And here's my shiny, silvery enermax, also against the HR 03 GT. A perfect match, at least, visually. :p

imgp2776e.jpg

imgp2780d.jpg

Back