• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Best Waterblock for 4Ghz+ i7?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

SuperDave1685

Hey there guys. Been out of the watercooling loop for a while. And I will be until I get home in December. I've read about the D-Tek Fuzion V2, the Apogee GTZ. Those seem to be the best atm. What's this Heatkiller block I read about? Who makes it? Whatever block is best, I'm planning on using it with my PA 120.3 and MCP 650 pump to get my i7 over 4Ghz. Thanks guys!

Yep the HK is indeed the superior block if you have the $$ to burn. The Swiftech GTZ is a formidable block and costs less.

Wish I could afford the HK.

GTZ has a crappy backplate. HK all the way get the LT or the cu

Where do you get that from? The GTZ has one of the best mounting setups out there on the market. I think hokie linked to a thread at XS in another thread that's presently active here that compares performance of a bunch of waterblocks including the HK3.0LT and GTZ and when you look at the temp variations between mounts the GTZ is hands down more consistent than any other block on the market. That's not to say the GTZ beat the HK3.0LT in performance because it didn't, but it smoked every other block in the tests in mounting repeatability.

GTZ has a crappy backplate. HK all the way get the LT or the cu
Where do you get that from?

I'm not sure where that's coming from either. It's solid and has alot of clearance.
+1 for the GTZ. It's a hell of a block and costs less than the Heatkiller.
On the other hand, an extra $30ish for a few degrees improvement isn't exactly steep either.
The LT seems to be the best value for just a tad more than the GTZ. I think I'd like to try one out soon.

Last edited:
The GTZ backplate is so easy to use and hard to screw up, even by noobs.

Link to the issues you mention? I know/read of tons of good installs.

Not very helpful, more like a rant............................

My i7 is running at 4.2GHz, max temps are in the low 50C range, Ive been running the GTZ without issues.

Can you elaborate a bit? HT? Vcore? Load method?

While crunching Rosetta with 4GHz HT enabled I see low to mid 50's with the loop in my signature. LinX or Prime95 automatically bump it to low to mid 60's. Both with ambient at room temperature.

HT on, 1.24Vcore. This is with RipBot264 running for a few hours, all cores @ 100%

I'm afraid I'm unfamiliar with how hard that program stresses an i7 quad core, but regardless that's a good overclock for 1.24v.
I see you have a comparable loop to mine. Do you know how Ripbot compares with prime or linX in terms of heat generated? 4.2GHz gives me 60's with LinX on a relatively small problem size with room temperature ambient.
That's with a 1.200v BIOS vcore setting btw(1.264v Load). Not sure how stable that would be in the long run, but would likely take at least 1.25v to be able to crunch Rosetta or F@H 24/7.

Last edited:
THanks guys for all your help! Which one is the better model - the LT or Cu? I see them on XS and on here being used in an interchangeable way. But I know one has roughly 1/3 less channels on the inside.

From what I can gather, the Cu is the most expensive one. I can only assume that the Cu is the copper colored one, which is ~$85.00.
The LT is the mid range block for ~$65.00 which is getting the good reviews and regarded as being the best value from what I can gather.
The Lc is the lower end block with fewer channels and runs about $50.00
Look HERE.

The LT would be the best price/performance from the research I've done.

Back