• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Can't get e8600 stable at 4.5

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ned3000

Registered
I've got an e8600, Asus Rampage Extreme and 2x2GB Corsair Dominator memory (rated at 1800.) It seems like 4.5 GHz should be pretty easy to achieve (maybe I'm asking too much?)

400 FSB w/ x10 multiplier works perfectly. 450 always fails no matter what else I do. It will post and boot up, but crashes are frequent and Prime95 reports errors. CPU Cooling is adequate (triple rad w/ just the CPU and GPU in the loop.) The NB heats up more than the rest but I don't think I've seen it above 50c or so.

Power supply is a 1KW Silverstone Olympia which should be total overkill. The only power hungry component is an Nvidia 295.

I tried increasing the CPU voltage to 1.3 and then 1.4 but there was no difference. One thing I noticed is when I set the voltage CPUID HW monitor would report a different number (lower) even under full load. Is that normal?

I'm thinking maybe it's something related to the DRAM timing? I set everything in the BIOS to what's displayed on the SPD screen on CPU-Z (except tRC; there was no setting for that) and also tried it on "Auto" with just the speed set to 1800.

This is the stable configuration (system wouldn't run long enough to get a shot of the unstable one):

cpu_mem_spd.JPG

Does Memtest86+ pass w/ the RAM at 1800MHz and 8-8-8-24-2T; Vdimm at 1.8v? Post a direct link to your specific RAM, and fill out this BIOS template w/ the settings you used to boot into Windows at 450MHz x 8...

Code:
Ai Overclock Tuner: [Manual]
OC From CPU Level Up: [Auto]
OC From Memory Level Up: [Auto]
FSB Frequency: [448]
CPU Ratio Settings: [8.5]
*CPU Clock Skrew: [200ps]
*NB Clock Skrew: [Normal]
FSB Strap to North Bridge: [Auto]
PCIE Frequency: [100]
DRAM Frequency: [DDR3-1347MHz]
DRAM Command Rate: [Auto]