• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Timings?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JPEllington

I've just started looking into overclocking my computer, and as with that I've seen a lot about tightening up your RAM timings to decrease latency. My question is what is the most important to tighten, CAS, tRCD, or tRP? The reason I ask is that my current configuration is running at 5-4-4-12 (my BIOS doesn't have much for options except to change CAS and frequency, so I changed the rest in nVidia control first) But when I switch to 4-4-4-12, So I'm wondering if it's the most important in terms of benefit, because I read that it was in the days of DDR but it might not be now? But if it is I'd wanna try 4-5-4-12 or something.

I've just started looking into overclocking my computer, and as with that I've seen a lot about tightening up your RAM timings to decrease latency. My question is what is the most important to tighten, CAS, tRCD, or tRP? The reason I ask is that my current configuration is running at 5-4-4-12 (my BIOS doesn't have much for options except to change CAS and frequency, so I changed the rest in nVidia control first) But when I switch to 4-4-4-12, So I'm wondering if it's the most important in terms of benefit, because I read that it was in the days of DDR but it might not be now? But if it is I'd wanna try 4-5-4-12 or something.
Well.
On WHAT are you trying to tighten timings?
System specs?

Timings

Generally speaking I (think) CAS is the one that many manufacturers to try focus on when providing new products that have great capability of being overclocked.

Take for example the G.Skill Perfect Storm and the OCZ Blade. They are both DDR3-2000 capable computer ram and the reason the companies believe they are able to achieve such speeds are from the Cas-7 latency that they both have. :santa:

Cas Latency would be at the top of the list followed closely by tRCD, tRP, tRAS, and tRC. The Command rate also plays a big role. 1T being superior to 2T.

Back