• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

good gaming board

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Drak55

Hi everyone Im looking for a good gaming board thats not going to break the bank. I'm not looking to overclock or anything just use it for web and games thats about it.

A gaming motherboard is somewhat vague. Since you won't be overclocking, there is no reason to get a expensive motherboard that is rich with OC features. You can get a mobo that supports 2 16x Crossfire or SLI slots and get 2 vid cards, and run them in SLI/CF for good gaming performance. What is your budget?

You could get a Core i5 or a Core i7 (920) and get a lower cost mobo that supports 2 16x slots. Grab 2 5850's and be on the edge of awesome. SSD's make a difference too.

Well Im not really going to twin turbo it out lol just one good budget card some good ram I already have a psu a 550w also I wanted to stay with the AMD boards as thats what I know some about. oh and probably a 2 core not the quads but thats a maybe depends on the performance difference do I really need a quad cpu?

If all your doing is gaming and web surfing, I wouldn't go for one, it is just extra heat and not too much performance increase for your gaming.

Are you looking for a AMD board in general? or a 939/940 socket? What kind of ram do you have?

Just looking at good boards (not taking into account what ram)
The M4N82 and ASUS crossfire III are good boards AFAIK

If you're going stock (no OC'ing) then the Biostar boards seem to fair well in the lower price ranges. I'd stay away from Jetway and ECS (/Elite) and I'd also go for an AMD chipset instead of nVidia. But in general almost any budget board will run a dual-core, or quad for that matter, without a hitch - if it's running stock. :)

I'm not an avid gamer so I'll leave the dual/quad debate to others ...

ATM? Hardly any difference. But games are supposedly going to be optimized for quads "soon" so thats up to you. But I wouldn't hold my breath.

GTA4 without a quad is supposed to be pretty painful.
Everything else, a lower clocked quad is beaten by a higher clocked dual or triple.
If you're doing VoIP stuff you will probably (but not certainly) see an improvement going from double core to triple or quad.
Asus makes great boards, i'm pretty happy with the biostar i used for a friends build, it's got his 4850e to 3250 (2.5 stock), and has the ability to define your own PWM cpu fan profile, which is rare. (strangely, my ECS G31 intel board has it. Neither asus does)

If you aren't going to overclock, and you aren't going crossfire, then pretty much any board will do you well. I'd look at the gigabyte 770 boards.

Back