• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Adding more RAM

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

crunchie

Going to be putting an extra 4Gb (2x2) of RAM into the first PC in my sig.
Reckon I will need to clear the cmos, or will she boot straight up? Never actually added RAM before, usually just change it :).

From 4 GB to 8 GB, you should notice a definite increase in "snappiness".

If he was using 100% of the 4GB before and his computer was waiting on RAM to empty to store more data in it; Or if he needs to run programs simultaneously that would use more than 4GB RAM, then ,in my opinion, it's a good upgrade.

If he actually uses less than 4GB, then adding RAM won't really help...

People always say "more wouldn't hurt" which is true, unless the NB will hinder OC. I guess I just don't like having something that's not being used.

From 4 GB to 8 GB, you should notice a definite increase in "snappiness".

Not really. 4gb is more than enough for any gaming system out there now. I got 8gb of RAM cos i work with graphics programs and such, so the more RAM the better for me. But I noticed NO increase in system response.. If you want 'snappiness', get an SSD with some good quality, Low-timings RAM ;).

I'm not a moron :( :).
Anyway, pc has started crashing, so it looks like I have to change something. ANy recommendation on which to adjust first? cpu-nb? or just a little more to the RAM?

If you are overclocked, I would add some NB volts or make sure the timing is down to 2T I believe (AMD experts please correct me).

I bet you hardly noticed a performance difference. What do you do that you need 8GB of ram btw?

OC'd to 3600Mhz on the multi only. cpu-nb is OC'd to 2600Mhz.

Most I do on this is play Crysis, but I had 2 unused dimms and some spare cash :).

OC'd to 3600Mhz on the multi only. cpu-nb is OC'd to 2600Mhz.

Most I do on this is play Crysis, but I had 2 unused dimms and some spare cash :).

Rofl. Bit of a waste.. But meh! If it makes you happy! Crysis would run fine with 2gb of decent ram tbh..

But its crashing cos of the extra stress on the NB (right? I think XD). my 'stable' 3.3ghz OC crashed when i put in the extra 4gb myself. So I run everything stock at the moment. Runs all my games fine. I'll be gettin a full i7 system with SSD somewhere in the next few months though so it doesnt bother me =D.

I wish I had extra money lying around =( lol. Send me some if you ever have more spare =D Haha.

I try to spend it before my daughters do. At least I get some value out of it then :D.
I have removed the two modules for now until I can have a play over the weekend.

Try running memtest, you never know you might just have gotten a bad stick out of the batch.

just to add my 2cents, personally i have a 8gb of ram becuase it was so darn cheap last year. 50 bucks (after rebate) for two sets of corsair ballistics? sign me up!

Back