• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What should I replace a Raptor 150gb with?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Bestmaxx

I have been putting it off, but this one velociraptor 150gb drive is not cutting it. I am currently using it as my primary and I am always having to delete something to install the next thing. It is getting old.. What would you replace it with??

I game a lot so speed is important, but I need more than 150gb of storage on my primary.

I am considering 2x velociraptor 300gb in raid 0...

Is there a better option than this? maybe an ssd?

Get an SSD. Look into the OCZ vertex or Intel G2 drives. I notice you need at least 150 or more. SSD might be a little pricey for anything over 120 GB. You might have to wait a little while.

If 150GB is not enough and you only want to run one drive I'd suggest the Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 hard drives. You get massive storage, good speed and very affordable. They are SATA2 and have 32MB cache with all the current features.

Going with two velociraptors is going to be expensive and not really net you any noticeable difference in system performance, game play or fps. You wont notice a difference in gamming till you go to SSD. Only problem is that the storage capacity is very low and the drives are very expensive. Even then, youre not talking about a huge performance jump for gaming. You will notice your system will be a lot snappier and boots will be lightning fast ect...

I haven't heard anything good about Seagate lately. I'd probably suggest a WD Black instead.

SSD for OS Drive+Apps+Games (At least some) + WD Black drives for storage or more apps/games.

Na really if you still want speed and space, get some WD Black Drives Raid0 a front portion of the disk (say 300Gig Partition) and use the rest of the space as a Raid1 (for redundancy) or keep the partitions separate for just more space in general. This is of course if you have an Intel System with adding the extra Raid to the drive setup.

I like the idea of an single SSD and a raid 0 setup of 2 hdds.

Should I get a 128gb SSD and 2x500gb WD blacks raid 0?

or should i get a 128gb ssd and buy another raptor to run a raid 0 setup with my existing raptor?

I really want the best bang for the buck. I would love to get an 80gb ssd, but I really don't think that will be enough storage for my likings.

SSD is always a nice choice. Though the 2x500GB RAID 0 would seem like a waste depending on what you are going to be using that drive for... unless you are doing alot of stuff with large files and video decoding etc... you probably won't see the performance increase you are expecting... if you got the money I'd get a smaller 32-64 gb SSD and then a 128gb SSD and keep your raptor in there too... put the OS and such on the smaller drive and games on the larger SSD and then music and videos and other random stuff on your raptor. But that's just my opinion take it as you do :)

SSD is always a nice choice. Though the 2x500GB RAID 0 would seem like a waste depending on what you are going to be using that drive for... unless you are doing alot of stuff with large files and video decoding etc... you probably won't see the performance increase you are expecting... if you got the money I'd get a smaller 32-64 gb SSD and then a 128gb SSD and keep your raptor in there too... put the OS and such on the smaller drive and games on the larger SSD and then music and videos and other random stuff on your raptor. But that's just my opinion take it as you do :)

There is no reason at all to do that. Way better off with a few SSDs in RAID and then a normal storage drive, if 2 SSDs at all. What you're suggesting makes no sense.

How much do you have installed? Typically I had a bunch installed but running a SSD I've also been able to disable quiet a bit as well which frees up disk space depending on if you do it.

Full Win7 install, and quiet a few large programs + 1 small game so far, just under 35Gigs used.

I'd get a 128Gig or 160Gig SSD if you just want one, and if you need extra storage. Key here is STORAGE you don't need it to be supper fast but size matters so 500-1000GB depending on your needs. As well if you need another drive for backing up all this data consider that as well.

I haven't heard anything good about Seagate lately. I'd probably suggest a WD Black instead.

I haven't had any issues with Seagate and my 1TB 7200.12 runs like a champ. I selected it over the WD Black at the time because it edges out the WD in a few benchmarks or ran about the same Tomshardware guide and the two drives were about the same price at the time.

On a side note, some times I wounder if anyone replying ever considers budget or just gives a 'no-limit' kind of answer. Why not RAID some 15K SAS drives for storage and then RAID a bunch of 32GB SLC SSD's for the OS? BECASE IT WOULD COST A FORTUNE! Now I know I'm going to get a lot of negative feedback for this post because not ALL answeres are like that, but a lot are.

Last edited:
Sorry but Raiding SCSI's or SAS in Raid for storage, then its not really being used for storage or your a server for some larger company.

Sorry but Raiding SCSI's or SAS in Raid for storage, then its not really being used for storage or your a server for some larger company.

Thanks, I know... all about I/O for thoes drives. I was just trying to use an extreme example

Ok I have decided on a 128gb SSD and I will keep the raptor for storage.. I have a 1.5tb drive for storage also.

So now the question is what 128gb SSD do I want to buy??

Any recommendations?

Ok I have decided on a 128gb SSD and I will keep the raptor for storage.. I have a 1.5tb drive for storage also.

So now the question is what 128gb SSD do I want to buy??

Any recommendations?

What motherboard or RAID card ya using, and how much do you have to spend?

Back