• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Biostar TA770 A2+ SE - Pencil Mod

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JogaBonito1502

Registered
Hey guys! I haven't been here in a while. Last time, I was getting some help with my Brisbane 5400+. I overclocked it to 3392MHz (212 x 16) with my VCore at 1.275V + .3V from the VCore Boost feature this board has (note that this is not actually what it is called, it always slips my mind). I ran that for a while, then I dropped to a 3200MHz overclock. So far so good right? Well the other day, I noticed I hadn't finished a RAM overclock I started, so I went and tried 3392MHz again. But guess what?! I couldn't get it! Apparently my VDroop increased dramatically. It is now a .12-.13V and because of this I can't pump enough volts to get the 3392Mhz anymore.

I am currently running my 5400+ at 3360 (240 x 14). This is what my full load temperatures look like:

CPU: 50C
Core 0:~57C
Core 1: ~67C

They were the highest numbers I saw after looking at it after I started Prime95. I let it run for about 2min (enough for temps to raise), then I looked at it for 30 seconds to find the max (as it fluctuates).

So my questions to you guys are:

-Is there a pencil mod for this board?
-AMD's website says the max temperature this chip should run at is 72C, but is that the temperature from the actual component or core temperatures?

My current HSF is the Rosewill RCX-Z5: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835200038

Thank you. I hope I will able to push my OC further with a pencil mod. If I'm already on the edge, would a Xigmatek HDT-S1283 be any improvement? Maybe some MOFSETs HSF?

edit: I meant to write AMD 5400+ on the title also, but I got carried away. If any mod could please fix this I would appreciate it.
edit2: I also realized that I posted this on the wrong forum. Stupid me. I apologize and hope it wasn't of much inconvenience.

A pencil mod for a motherboard? They used to do that with older Athlon CPUs to unlock the multiplier. Maybe your post belongs more properly in the motherboard area of the forum.

Last edited:
K. But answer these two questions:

Is there a pencil mod for my board?
The listed max temperature on the AMD website is 72C. Does this refer to the chip temperature or to the core temperature?

Pencil mod - IDK.

CPU temps refer to core temps. AMD uses the same internal CPU sensor that CoreTemp and several other programs read. The "chip" temperature is some who-knows-how-good sensor on the board that may or may not be calibrated and may be influenced by other components.

What I'm not 100% sure of is the internal sensor showing actual temperatures. If I understand The Coolest's explanation of K10 sensors it's a purely AMD thing designed for use as a last-ditch shutdown routine to save the chip from physical heat damage ...

I see. So where I'm standing now I have no more room for my overclock (core #1 is at 68C). So I think I'll have to end up buying a new HSF.

Thanks for the tips.

Back