• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

5850 amperage requirement

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

SMTP

Registered
ATI's website doesn't say, they only list a wattage requirement on the PSU. I'm planning to run 2x 5850s. The PSU I'm looking at does 60A on a single 12V rail. Is there an amp requirement or only that your PSU meets the wattage?

I assume that with 60A at 12V equalling 744 watts and the max power usage I'm seeing in reviews being under 600W that the PSU I have in mind should be plenty? Is the amp requirement I've seen on some cards only a derived number from wattage requirement or is it the other way around?

What's your exact PSU? IT probably doesn't matter though because 60A on the 12V rail is more than plenty for 5850's - I bet the system pulls < 500W with everything fully loaded which would never happen in real use.

What's your exact PSU? IT probably doesn't matter though because 60A on the 12V rail is more than plenty for 5850's - I bet the system pulls < 500W with everything fully loaded which would never happen in real use.

That's what I expected. Anandtech's load test is a load that a normal system wouldn't reach when gaming. The PSU I plan on is the Corsair 750HX.

Back